Position Title: Project Coordinator
Reference: ‘EIFR – PC’
Job Category: Professional
Project Title: THE ENTREPRENEURSHIP AND INNOVATION DEVELOPMENT FOR FRAGILITY REDUCTION (EIFR) PROJECT – LETTER OF AGREEMENT
The Inter-Governmental Authority on Development (IGAD) has active seven Member States including Djibouti, Ethiopia, Kenya, Somalia, South Sudan, Sudan and Uganda. The IGAD Centre for Pastoral Areas and Livestock Development (ICPALD) was founded in July 2012 as an IGAD Specialized institution mandated to “promote and facilitate sustainable and equitable drylands and livestock development in the IGAD region”. To fulfil its mandate ICPALD provides a platform for regional cooperation and coordination in drylands and livestock development. ICPALD thrusts in the improvement of animal health, production and marketing, enhanced dryland agriculture and value added alternative livelihood products including rangeland products (RP) with the aim of bringing positive impacts on food and economic security, especially in rural pastoral populations.
IGAD has secured funding from Africa Development Bank (AfDB) for implementation of a project called Entrepreneurship and Innovation Development for Fragility Reduction (EIDFR). The Project seeks to strengthen institutional capacity for entrepreneurship and innovation development and job creation in Djibouti, South Sudan and Sudan. The Project aims at bringing together learning institutions (at tertiary level), the private sector and the governments to: (i) strengthen E&I at institutional, national and regional levels; and (ii) stimulate employment opportunities for youth by supporting and promoting the establishment of start-ups led by young entrepreneurs.
- Description of the main components of the project
The Project development objective is to strengthen institutional capacity for entrepreneurship and innovation development and job creation in Djibouti, South Sudan and Sudan. This will be achieved through two (2) specific objectives: (i) building institutional capabilities to foster entrepreneurship and innovation at institutional, national and regional levels; and (ii) stimulating employment opportunities for youth by supporting and promoting the establishment of start-ups led by young entrepreneurs with focus on livestock and agricultural products value chain.
The objective of executing agency is to supervise and implement all activities pertaining to the project. In this regard, IGAD wish to recruit project coordinator to supervise the activities of the project.
- Objective of the Assignment
The objective of the assignment is to increase the efficiency of the coordination unit at IGAD CPALD as well as to provide all the necessary support to the unit through the provision of a highly qualified and skilled officer.
- Scope of the Assignment
The Project Coordinator is expected to deliver in the following areas:
- Lead the technical aspect of the project implementation by closely working with other staff members from IGAD, AfDB, countries and other stakeholders
- Prepare the project annual work plan and budget including procurement plan and submit them to the Bank for approval.
- Prepare and submit to the Bank quarterly Project progress and financial reports.
- Co-ordinate and lead the timely and appropriate implementation of the approved annual work plan, budget and procurement plan.
- Organize periodic Bank led project progress supervision missions.
- Lead on the development of the Project Implementation Manual, its dissemination to and adherence by project staff and stakeholders. Co-ordinate and support the Project Midterm Review (MTR) and Project Completion Report (PCR) preparation.
- Properly implement the signed agreements including timely follow up of documents submitted to the Bank for No Objection, including procurement notices;
- Liaise with the three Universities and other stakeholders at national level for smooth implementation of the Project and reporting.
- Carry out the day to day implementation of the project’s activities on the ground, with its operations supervised by ICPALD;
- Supervising the Implementing Agency and contractors at national level to ensure it is implementing the activities as designed;
- Working closely with the IGAD Education program in IGAD in coordinating the implementation of the Project activities and undertaking supervision missions;
- Undertaking the recruitment of external Auditor and submit the audit reports to the Fund
- Preparing regular project progress report to IGAD
- Other activities related to the Project
- Qualification and experience/minimum requirements
- Master degree in Business administration, Development studies, economics, Entrepreneurship, and other related courses,
- Ten (10) or more years experience in national, regional and international organizations programme leadership and coordination of which 5 years be related to entrepreneurship, youth employment and innovation for development,
- Working experience in two or more IGAD countries in a similar capacity is a definite advantage
- Core competencies
- Knowledge of agriculture and agri-business issues in the IGAD Region.
- Familiarity with the systems and procedures in Djibouti, South Sudan and Sudan will be an added advantage;
- Innovation and networking.
- Ability to mobilise and coordinate a wide range of partners is critical.
- Good Communication and interpersonal skill.
- A good knowledge of computer applications.
- Ability to prepare concise, timely, analytical and informative documentation.
- Fluency in English, knowledge of French is an added advantange;
- Demonstrated ability to mobilize resources/fund raising.
- Duration of the Assignment
The assignment will be for one-year period with possibility of annual renewal until 31st December 2025 subject to performance and availability of fund.
- 8. Performance evaluation
The Project Coordinator (PC) will develop and agree on an annual work plan with the ICPALD Director or a person delegated by the Director at the beginning of the year. The work of the PO will be reviewed by the same.
- How to Apply
Interested candidates should send their applications in PDF format enclosed with a cover letter, Curriculum Vitae with description of similar assignments, experience in similar conditions, and availability of appropriate skills, academic documents, copy of passports/ ID cards biometric page, three reference persons including the last employer. The application should be sent by E-mail to the following addresses: E-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line ‘EIFR – PC’ Closing date for application will be on 24th September 2023. Due to the large number of applications we expect to receive; only successful candidates who meet the required experience & qualifications for this position will be contacted.
IGAD is an equal opportunity employer. Female candidates are encouraged to apply.
Download attached ToR document in PDF below
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com