Position Title: Programme Manager Natural Resources
Programme/ Office: Agriculture and Environment Division
Job Category: Professional
Duty Station: Djibouti with frequent travel in the IGAD region
Accountable to: Director, Agriculture and Environment Division
In 1996, the Intergovernmental Authority on Development (IGAD) was established as a regional economic community (REC), succeeding the Intergovernmental Authority on Drought and Development (IGADD), which was founded in 1986. IGAD’s membership comprises eight countries: Djibouti, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Kenya, Somalia, South Sudan, Sudan, and Uganda.
The Agriculture and Environment Division (AED) is in charge of IGAD’s work on agriculture, environment protection, natural resource management, blue economy, and land governance. It leads the efforts of the Authority in building resilience and sustainable development. The mandate of the division focused on the following intervention areas: agriculture and food security, natural resources management and renewable energy, environment protection, land governance, and blue economy.
Currently under the broad area of Natural Resource Management, the Agriculture and Environment Division (AED) implements projects that deal with land governance and natural resource management.
IGAD seeks to recruit a Programme manager to coordinate and provide guidance on the implementation of projects and programmes implemented under Natural Resource Management unit.
- Core Duties and Responsibilities
Under the overall guidance of Director of Agriculture and Environment, the programme manager will be responsible to develop regional framework for trans-boundary resources, identify and map regional trans-boundary resources, assist member states comply with the provisions of, and benefit from international instruments and follow up on emerging and re- emerging issues.
More specifically The Programme Manager will:
- Harmonization of policies on natural resources management.
- Strengthen regional integrated action plan for natural resources management including water resources and land.
- Develop protocol and regional framework for co-operation on use of transboundary resources.
- Enhance sharing of information, experience and best practices in management of natural resources.
- Enhance capacity building in natural resources management in each of the key objectives identified under the IGAD Regional Strategy.
- Facilitate mapping of trans-boundary natural resources and carry out natural resources accounting and evaluation studies.
- Develop methodologies for national domestication of the provisions of international conventions that deal with natural resource management.
- Assist Member States in the implementation of the provisions of the regional and international Convention on the Conservation of Nature and Natural Resources.
- Assist Member States in mainstreaming international conventions into national strategies, programs and plan of action for development.
- Harmonization of national policies in the Member States on emerging and re- emerging issues that affect natural resource management.
Minimum Qualifications and Experience
3.1 Educational Requirements
A Master’s Degree in Natural Resource Management, Water engineering, International Development, Urban/Rural Development Studies or relevant field
3.2 Experience/ Key skills and competencies
- At least 10 years of relevant experience in natural resource management, including at least 3 years of experience in managing teams that work on natural resource programmes.
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in developing and leading natural resource initiatives, project management or program coordination at regional or national levels
- Experience on regional co-operation and integration either at national level or at regional level
- Knowledge of the IGAD region
- Experience working in the IGAD region is highly desirable
- Experience in managing multi donor funds
- Experience in programme management
Skills and Abilities:
- Strong planning skills and strategic thinking capacity
- Strong project development and management skills
- Ability to manage and work with interdisciplinary teams
- Strong decision making and analytical ability
- Ability to build and maintain relationships with government agencies, local authorities, funding partners, consultants etc.
Fluency in English is required. French is an added advantage.
How to Apply
Appropriately qualified applicants from IGAD Member States are eligible to apply.
Interested candidates should send their applications in PDF format enclosed with a cover letter, Curriculum Vitae, academic documents, copy of passports/ ID cards biometric page, three reference persons including the last employer. The application should be sent by E-mail to the following addresses: E-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line ‘AED-PMNM’.
Closing date for application will be on 15 December 2023. Due to the large number of applications we expect to receive; only successful candidates who meet the required experience & qualifications for this position will be contacted. Contact: + 25321354050
IGAD is an equal opportunity employer. Female candidates are encouraged to apply
Download attached ToR document in PDF below
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com