IGAD has entered into a grant agreement with the Government of Sweden represented by the Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency (SIDA) to pursue a common regional mechanism for refugee management to promote predictable, fair, and gender-responsive approaches to refugee management and asylum protection.
These efforts form a vital pillar of the IGAD Support Platform that was established at the Global Refugee Forum in December 2019. They will contribute to implementing the Global Compact for Refugees (GCR) and the Comprehensive Refugee Response Framework (CRRF) as defined in the Nairobi Declaration and Plan of Action.
A common regional refugee management framework among the seven IGAD member states (Djibouti, Ethiopia, Kenya, Somalia, South Sudan, Sudan, and Uganda) will strengthen the implementation of regional commitments by promoting comparable and predictable mechanisms for refugee management, strengthening experience sharing and best practices on refugee management and asylum protection, and promoting the transfer of technical capacity between IGAD member states. To this end, IGAD seeks to recruit a consultant to develop a common regional refugee management framework.
THE MAIN OBJECTIVES OF THE ASSIGNMENT
The main objective of this consultancy is to guide the development of a common regional refugee management framework for the IGAD region, taking into account the national asylum and refugee management policies, laws, practices, and the international asylum/refugee protection principles enshrined in the international instruments.
The following deliverables are expected from the consulting firm
- An inception report/spelling out how to achieve the objectives of the consultancy one week after signing the contract.
- Assessment reports, documenting best practices, challenges, gaps, and recommendations on improving refugee management in each member state.
- A validated and adopted regional refugee management framework and the process report.
DURATION OF THE ASSIGNMENT
The Consultancy is for a total of 120 days spread over Six months beginning 1st of April 2022
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Master’s Degree in relevant social sciences, law, political sciences, or a relevant field of study
- At least five years of experience in policy research and policy development, delivering high-quality policy papers and research projects.
- At least five years of experience working with refugees or forced displacement situations in the IGAD region;
- Knowledge of refugees and forced displacement governance in the IGAD region;
- Experience conducting research and analysis to assist issue identification, analysis, and policy development activities based on robust evidence;
- Excellent drafting and reporting skills; communication and negotiating skills, including the ability to write about complex subjects in accessible ways for a range of audiences;
- Strong collaboration, communication, and interpersonal skills with the ability to deliver quality results on time;
- Ability to coordinate and support stakeholder engagement processes including relevant Government offices;
- Analytical skills, with the ability to understand complex information and summarize key points in a strategic way;
- Excellent planning and organizational skills; ability to work with competing priorities and meet deadlines;
- Knowledge and experience in programs implemented by regional and international organizations such as United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR), International Organization for Migration (IOM), European Union (EU), and the African Union are highly desirable.
IGAD Secretariat now invites eligible Consultants with the requisite experience to indicate their interest in providing the services. Interested Consultant must provide information indicating that they are qualified to perform the services, and submit CV of the consultant. For further information’s see attached the Terms of Reference (TOR).
- NO TECHINCAL OR FINANCIAL PROPOSALS REQUIRED IN THIS STAGE
HOW TO APPLY
not later than Saturday 26th February 2022 at 23:59 Hrs. EAT (GMT+3). Please note that only shortlisted Consultants will be contacted.
Administration and Finance
Avenue Georges Clemenceau
P.O. Box 2653,
Djibouti Republic of Djibouti
Download attached Documents in PD below