October 30, 2021 (NAIROBI, Kenya): The Executive Secretary of the Intergovernmental Authority on Development (IGAD), Dr Workneh Gebeyehu, yesterday awarded three young poets and one young film maker who contested during the #IGADForPeace social media that ended mid-November.
The hand over ceremony took place at the Office of the IGAD Head of Mission located within the premises of the Kenya Medical Training College Campus on Karen Road in the presence of the IGAD Special Envoy for South Sudan, the IGAD Special Envoy for the Red Sea, Gulf of Aden and Somalia, as well as IGAD Divisions Directors and Specialised Institutions.
The awardees for Kenya in the name of Norris Mwavita, Cheboi Wakoli, Troy Roy Njagi and Wakarima Wangui were awarded for their peace poems and peace film.
The Executive Secretary applauded the awardees for their talent and encouraged them to pursue their dreams. “It is a pleasure for me to meet, greet and award young promising talents in poetry and filmmaking in Nairobi today”, he said.
“Youth account for a large majority of our population, and they are the ones most confronted with challenges such as unemployment, violence and drugs. They’re the voice for peaceful future we need to hear’, he continued before congratulating them
Similar award ceremonies will be held in the Offices of the IGAD Heads of Mission in other IGAD member countries.
The #IGADForPeace social media campaign started end of July and ended mid-November.
The campaign highlights 5 areas:
- #IGADin1Minute is a short video programme of the history of IGAD in 3 episodes, as well as shortened pieces of videos produced by IGAD Programmes and Projects in their respective areas;
- #IGADChampionOfTheWeek is to showcase grassroots participation and involvement in the IGAD Programmes and Projects;
- #DiscoverIGAD is short videos emanating from member countries Tourism Boards aimed at promoting the region as a tourism destination;
- #IGADPeacePoems is a call for short poems to be shared by our followers of our social media platforms. These poems are to bring out the beauty and benefits of peace; and
- #IGADPeaceFilms is a call for short films along the same lines as the peace poems.