The Intergovernmental Authority on Development (IGAD) and the International Institute for Democracy and Electoral Assistance (IDEA) on the 17th of November signed a memorandum of understanding in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. The MoU was signed by the Executive Secretary of IGAD, Eng (Amb) Mahboub Maalim and IDEA’s Africa and West Asia Regional Director, Prof Adebayo Olukoshi at the International IDEA offices.
The two organizations will collaborate on promoting sustainable peace and development in the region based on the shared principles and comparative advantage. It was remarked that two organizations will work under the framework and leadership of IGAD to complement the efforts of member states in consolidating and strengthening democracy and development.
Through this MoU IGAD and IDEA will cooperate on promoting sustainable peace, democracy and development in the East and Horn of Africa region in, but not limited to, the following areas,
- Diaolgue and Research – to enhance dialogue and research in the IGAD Region by bringing together Research Institutions/Think Tanks, CSOs, Academia, private Sector/Business Community and Local Communities for consensus building
- Strengthen and Enhance Early Warning Systems on Issues of conflict, elections and security for regional development
- Promote Good Governance and strengthen capacities of national institutions
- Enhance mechanisms for peace building and stabilization through knowledge management and awareness
- Support IGAD in mainstreaming Gender in all activities, to promote women’s participation in political processes and decision making levels