REQUEST FOR EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST
(CONSULTING SERVICES – INDIVIDUAL CONSULTANT SELECTION)
Intergovernmental Authority on Development (IGAD)-Djibouti
Horn of Africa Ground Water Initiative Project (HOA-GWI)
Grant No: TF0B0514
Project ID No: P169078
Assignment Title: Hydrologist
Reference No.: DJ-IGAD-176351-CS-INDV
The Intergovernmental Authority on Development (IGAD) has received financing in the amount of US$ 2.7 Million equivalent from the World Bank toward the cost of the Horn of Africa- Groundwater Initiative Project (HOA-GWI), and it intends to apply part of the proceeds to payments for consulting services.
The Hydrologist shall provide experts services to ICPAC and IGAD Water Unit RGI project on all hydrological and database related activities for expanding the knowledge base on regional groundwater resources. This component consists of: (i) technical studies to determine the availability, variability, and natural recharge of shallow groundwater and (ii) workshops to disseminate and validate the technical studies. Building on the methodology of a pilot study to understand availability, spatial and temporal variability, and reliability in the region, volumes of water available for harvesting for 7, 14, and 21 days monthly will be defined at catchment level for the entire region. The input data used for the study will be extracted from a modelling exercise being carried out at the Intergovernmental Authority on Development Climate Prediction and Application Center (ICPAC) in Nairobi, Kenya. This subcomponent will be complemented by mapping of the potential groundwater recharge zones in the arid lands of the IGAD region (funded by the European Space Agency [ESA]).
IGAD now invites eligible individual consultants to indicate their interest in providing these services. Interested individual consultants must provide information indicating that they are qualified to perform the services (i.e. updated CVs, description of similar assignments, experience in similar conditions, and availability of appropriate skills etc.).
The attention of interested Consultants is drawn to paragraph 1.9 of the World Bank’s Guidelines: Selection and Employment of Consultants [under IBRD Loans and IDA Credits & Grants] by World Bank Borrowers dated January 2011 (“Consultant Guidelines”), setting forth the World Bank’s policy on conflict of interest.
The Consultant will be selected in accordance with the Individual Consultant selection method set out in the Consultant Guidelines.
At least a Master of Science Degree in Hydrology or related fields.
- Work Experience and other competencies
- Five (5) years of working experience in hydrological applications and modelling
- Experience in water related Disaster Risk Management.
- Knowledge of on-going and planned regional Hydrological efforts
- Experience of working in East African context
Good knowledge of computer and GIS Application required deriving various hydrological products.
- Practical working experience with operational hydrological or related institutions
- Evidence of ability to coordinate and support partner institutions including operational meteorological and hydrological services, universities and user communities.
- Other Experience/ Knowledge / Abilities:
- Self-starter with the ability to strategically plan information and knowledge management work.
- Strong interpersonal skills and experience of working with regional and international organisations.
- Verbal and written communication skills in English. French will be added advantage.
- The selection criteria are education, relevant work experiences (as described above), good track record in delivering assignment, and experience of working in IGAD region.
Further information can be obtained at the address below during office working hours from 09:00 am to 16:00 pm, Sunday-Thursday, EAT. Expressions of interest must be delivered by mail e-mail on or before Sunday 19th July 2020 to the address below:
The Intergovernmental Authority on Development (IGAD)
Mr. Fred Mwango
Project Team Leader
P.O Box 2653, Djibouti, Ave. Georges Clemenceau
Tel: + (253)21354050 D: + (253)21312726 M: + (253) 77129170
Fax: + (253)-21356994
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org copy email@example.com