IGAD through Land Governance Programme is working with Member States and Regional (sub national) Governments, CSOs and other stakeholders to improve land governance in the IGAD region. The IGAD land governance interventions aim at facilitating implementation of the AU Declaration on Land Issues and Challenges in accordance with the Framework and Guidelines on Land Policy in Africa, to enable access to land and security of land rights for all land users in the IGAD region, especially vulnerable groups such as pastoralists, women, and youth.
With support from Sweden and SDC, IGAD has developed a gender responsive Alternative Dispute Resolution Practice Manual strengthen resolution of land disputes in the IGAD region in a way that increases access to land justice while strengthening secure land rights for all. Through the Project: Strengthening Regional Convergence through inclusive and conflict sensitive land use and management in the Somali cluster, IGAD is piloting the application of the Gender responsive ADR Practice Manual by strengthening the capacity of institutions and communities to apply a gender responsive and conflict sensitive ADR in the resolution of land and other natural resource-based conflicts in the Somali cluster. The cluster covers the Somali Regional State of the Federal Republic of Ethiopia, Mandera County of the Republic of Kenya, and the Gedo region of the Jubbaland State of the Federal Republic of Somalia.
The Strengthening Regional convergence Project, also referred to as the Improving Land Governance in Somali Cluster Project is premised on the IGAD Land Governance Business Plan 2020 – 2030 and is funded by SDC building on the support received from the Swedish Embassy in Ethiopia that support the development of the Gender responsive ADR Practice Manual.
The Improving Land Governance in the Somali Cluster Project seeks to improve land dispute resolution and conflict management in the Somali Cluster, improve the region’s capacity for gender responsive and conflict sensitive land administration and promote inclusive and participatory rangelands and urban planning to secure land rights. It also aims at promoting learning and scaling up of innovations from the Somali Cluster to inform national, cross border and regional learning and capacity enhancement on land governance.
IGAD Land Governance Programme is seeking to contract the services of consultant to undertake translation of the Gender Responsive ADR into Somali. This is because Somali is the most preferred language in the cluster spoken and understood by all the communities.
OBJECTIVE OF THE ASSIGNMENT
The objective of this assignment is to translate the Gender Responsive Alternative Dispute Resolution Practice Manual into Somali. The translation of the Manual should make use of illustrations and text boxes to help bring out the meanings of different sections clearly.
TASKS OF THE TRANSLATOR
- Translate the Gender responsive and conflict Sensitive ADR Practice Manual in Somali language being careful to convey the meaning intended.
- Develop the Illustrations for the translated manual. The schematics and illustrations of the Manual should be prepared suiting the text and case studies prepared in the Manual.
- Present the illustrated manual for expert review process to ensure that the schematics and illustrations communicate the desired messages.
- With the support of the Land Governance Team, extract and produce IEC tools ( such as posters etc.) from the manual for community use
- Format, design, and the translated illustrated ADR Practice Manual following IGAD protocols and with copies that will be mutually agreed.
The duration of the consultancy is 21-man days spread over 45 days.
- Draft Translated Illustrated Gender Responsive ADR Practice Manual
- Report of the Expert Review including the Second draft Translated Illustrated Gender Responsive ADR Practice Manual with drafts of select IEC materials.
- Final Translated Illustrated Gender Responsive ADR Practice Manual with select IEC materials
- Printed copies of the practice manual and select IEC materials.
QUALIFICATION AND EXPERTISE
The successful candidate is required to meet the following criteria:
- A PhD in communication, languages, or a related field with at least 3 years’ experience in Development Communication; or master’s degree in communication, languages, or equivalent qualification with at least 5 years’ experience in development communication. Or a bachelor’s degree in communication or a related field with at least 7 years’ experience in development communication; or a Diploma in communication with at least 10 years’ experience in Development Communication.
- Extensive experience in the development of handbooks, guidelines, and other manuals in Somali.
- Ability to provide qualitative, efficient, and accurate deliverables within the timeframes indicated in the Terms of Reference.
- Capacity to meet expectations regarding oral and drafting skills and ability to translate complex ideas and concepts into clear and concrete language.
- Proficiency in English and Somali is a requirement
- A Master’s degree or equivalent qualification in Communication, Languages, Translation, or related fields with minimum 5 Years’ relevant Experience.
- Solid translation skills and Fluency in Somali
- Working experience in development or humanitarian environment is desirable
- Proof of undertakings of similar translation assignments is a requirement.
REQUIREMENTS FOR APPLICATIONS
Applicants should send via email
- A cover letter specifying their professional qualifications in relation to this Expression of interest
- CV (not more than 5 pages)
- Two samples of similar translation assignment successfully completed
IGAD Secretariat now invites eligible Individual Consultants with the requisite experience to indicate their interest in providing the services. Interested Consultants must provide information indicating that they are qualified to perform the services.
Eligibility criteria, establishment of the short-list and the selection procedure shall be in accordance IGAD procurement regulations.
HOW TO APPLY
The consultants should submit their Expression of Interest (EOI) to: firstname.lastname@example.org not later than 25th October 2021 at 23:59 Hrs. EAT (GMT+3). Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be notified. Women are encouraged to apply
Administration and Finance
Avenue Georges Clemenceau
P.O. Box 2653,
Djibouti, Republic of Djibouti