REQUEST FOR EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST (Re-advertisement)
Consultancy Service for the Review of IGAD DRM Strategy Document to Develop an Integrated Disaster Risk Management and Climate Change Adaptation Framework-Individual consultancy assignment (Ref. No. ICPAC/15/ICS/01)
Organization: IGAD Climate Predictions and Applications Center
Name of the Project: Building Resilience through Disaster Risk Management and Climate Change Adaptation
Project ID: P154403
Grant No.: TF0A1090
The IGAD Climate Predictions and Application Center has received financing from the European Union through the World Bank toward the cost of the Building Resilience through Disaster Risk Management and Climate Change Adaptation Project and intends to apply part of the proceeds for consulting services.
The consulting services include hiring of an individual consultant for the “Review of IGAD DRM Strategy Document to Develop an Integrated Disaster Risk Management and Climate Change Adaptation Framework”.
The Objective of the consultancy assignment
The objectives of this consultancy assignment are the following:
- To review and update the IGAD DRM strategy in line with the prevailing international and regional DRM/DRR frameworks
- To integrate DRM and Climate Change Adaptation/Mitigation approaches to guide both IGAD and the member states in their sustainable development efforts
- To elaborate a conducive institutional and structural set-up within IGAD for more effective implementation of the updated DRM/DRR strategy.
Expected results to be delivered:
The expected results to be delivered by the Consultant are:
- A Revised IGAD DRM Strategy aligned to the continental (African Programme of Action) and the International (the Sendai Framework for DRR 2015-2030) Frameworks
- A Regional Framework or a Roadmap for guiding the integration of DRM and CCA in IGAD and the Member States
- A proposal for an operational framework on how best to structure and institutionalise DRM/DRR in order to strengthen and facilitate the implementation of updated DRM/DRR strategy
Expected outputs to be delivered by the Consultant in order to arrive at the main deliverables include:
- An Exhaustive review of the IGAD DRM Strategy and aligning it to prevailing continental and international DRM approaches that would inform and guide national strategies, policies, legislation and plans, in relation to DRM
- A Summary of review report on the present status of DRM and CCA strategies/policies and their implementation practices at National and Regional levels, including the gaps in the knowledge and understanding of DRM/CCA in institutionalizing effective DRM & CCA integrative approaches;
- Revised and updated IGAD DRM Strategy in line with the global and continental DRM/DRR frameworks;
- Formulation of a Regional integrated DRM and CCA framework document that guides harmonization of disaster risk management and climate change adaptation to a level comparable to international good practices in this area. The document should have a summary and overall be of high standard and to the satisfaction of IGAD/ICPAC Secretariat.
- A proposal for an institutional set-up for IGAD/ICPAC for effective operationalization of the updated DRM strategy; facilitating thus enhancement of resilience building against disasters and contribute to sustainable development at all levels.
Geographical Area of the Assignment:
The assignment is expected to be carried out covering 8 (eight) IGAD member states.
The IGAD Climate Prediction and Application Center now invites eligible individual Consultants to indicate their interest in providing the Service.
The attention of interested Consultants is drawn to paragraph 1.9 of the World Bank’s Guidelines: Selection and Employment of Consultants under IBRD Loans and IDA Credits & Grants by World Bank Borrowers dated January 2011 revised July 2014 (“Consultant Guidelines”), setting forth the World Bank’s policy on conflict of interest. In addition, please refer to the following specific information on conflict of interest related to this assignment as per paragraph 1.9 of Consultant Guidelines.
The World Bank policy requires that consultants provide professional, objective, and impartial advice and at all times hold the client’s interests paramount, without any consideration for future work, and strictly avoid conflicts with other assignments or their own corporate interests. Consultants shall not be hired for any assignment that would be in conflict with their prior or current obligations to other clients, or that may place them in a position of not being able to carry out the assignment in the best interest of the recipient.
A consultant will be selected in accordance with Section V. Selection of Individual consultants set out in the Consultant Guideline.
Qualification and Experience Requirement
Interested Consultants should provide information demonstrating that they have the required qualifications and relevant experience to perform the Services.
- Minimum Qualifications and skills
- Minimum Master’s degree in relevant fields of study from a well-known institution of higher learning
- Solid training in disaster risk management, climate studies, and/or other relevant fields
- B) General demonstrable professional experience minimum of 15 years in the areas of:
- Knowledge and practical experience of project formulation and project cycle management processes.
- Program design and implementation and results based programme/project management;
- In-depth understanding of disasters and their humanitarian and development nexus;
- Developing strategic planning and frameworks for development, humanitarian and/or corporate entities;
- Knowledge of complex institutional settings and their operation, including the working of national, regional, continental and international institutions
- Excellent communication skills
- C) Specific proven professional experience of minimum of 10 years in the areas of:
- Formulating development policies/strategies, national action plans especially in areas of disaster risk management and climate change adaptation
- Knowledge and proven practical experience of the conceptual shift and practice from disaster management to disaster risk management and the interface between DRM and CCA
- Knowledge and proven practical experience of mainstreaming overall disaster risk management and climate change adaptation in development, and the terminology used thereby
- Experience of work in the IGAD region is highly desirable
- D) Language Requirements:
- Fluency in English, speaking and writing; working knowledge of French and other IGAD languages is an advantage.
Duration of the assignment
The assignment should be undertaken within Six and half (6.5) months and it should be conducted from IGAD/ICPAC Secretariat in Kenya, with travel to the ICPAC countries.
How to Apply
Interested Consultants must submit their expression of interest (updated CV and non-returnable educational and work experience credentials with a cover letter) to the address below in person, or by mail or by email no later than 5:00 PM on 17 November 2017
IGAD Climate Prediction and Application Centre (ICPAC)
Kenya Meteorological Department Compound
Ngong Road, Dagoretti Corner
P.O. Box 10304 GPO 100, Tel (+254) 20-3514426,