- Apr 25 - 28 2022
- 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
Harmonisation and Improvement of Production and Utilisation of Migration data in IGAD region Workshop
The IGAD region is characterized by migratory movements driven by multiple political, economic, and environmental factors, making it difficult to establish clear lines between categories of migrants, refugees and forcibly displaced populations. The region’s Member States are also simultaneously origin, transit, and destination for migrants and refugees, who are increasingly using the same routes. This makes migration and displacement a critical subject among IGAD member states, impacting many governments intervention and policy making areas. In line with Objective 1 of the Global Compact for Safe, Orderly and Regular migration, the reliable collection and utilisation of disaggregated migration data in the region is becoming even more apparent to inform evidence-based policies.
Within the context of the African Union’s Revised Migration Policy Framework for Africa and Plan of Action (MPFA 2018-2030) and the IGAD Regional Migration Policy Framework (IRMPF), a mandate exists for the creation and harmonisation of (regional) data on mobility. Its strategic area number eight addresses the need to reinforce the collection and analysis of migration data. The harmonisation of definitions, concepts, standards and methodologies is critical to ensure that all migration and
This workshop aims to improve the availability and quality of migration statistics within the IGAD region through; strengthening national and regional actors in the production and use of migration statistics.
At the end of this workshop, the expected results will be:
– Deliberation on the Member States status of implementation of migration statistics activities
– Guidelines on the Minimum list of key regional migration priority Indicators for IGAD Region;
– The International Labour Migration Statistics (ILMS) questionnaire presented and deliberated
– Launching of the first edition of the IGAD Migration Statistics report;
– Roadmap of the development of the 2nd edition of migration statistics report developed;
– Way forward on collection and management of migration data in the region
displacement statistics are comparable across the region and the globe.