Position Title: Programme Manager Trade and Investment
Programme/ Office: Division, Economic Cooperation and Regional Integration
Job Category: Professional
Duty Station: Djibouti with frequent travel in the IGAD region
Accountable to: Director, Economic Cooperation and Regional Integration Division
In 1996, the Intergovernmental Authority on Development (IGAD) was established as a regional economic community (REC), succeeding the Intergovernmental Authority on Drought and Development (IGADD), which was founded in 1986. IGAD’s membership comprises eight countries: Djibouti, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Kenya, Somalia, South Sudan, Sudan, and Uganda.
The mandate of the Economic Cooperation and Regional Integration Division (ECRID) is to promote regional economic cooperation and integration among IGAD Member States. The Division supports this central strategic role of IGAD through working in areas of trade, tourism development, transport and Information and Communication Technologies, integration and macroeconomic policies, energy development, industry and regional value chains development.
Key functions of the division are:
- Trade, Investment and Tourism development
2. Industrial and Regional Value Chain Development
3. Clean Energy Generation and Interconnections to Facilitate Cross-Border Energy Trade
4. Integration and Macroeconomic Policy and Research
5. Transport and ICT Development and Promotion of Digitalization
IGAD seeks to recruit a Programme manager for Trade to coordinate and provide guidance on the implementation of projects and programmes implemented under Trade, Investment and Tourism development area.
- Core Duties and Responsibilities
Under the overall guidance of Economic Cooperation and Regional Integration Division, the programme manager will be responsible to take a leading role in undertaking trade integration programmes in the IGAD region and supporting member states in their efforts towards economic cooperation and regional integration.
More specifically The Programme Manager will:
- To provide information, policy research and analysis to support IGAD on substantive trade, investment and tourism issues by focusing on “Policy Harmonization, Mainstreaming and Regional Integration”
- Mainstream relevant decisions arrived at by the international, continental and regional institutions other regional bodies into the programs and projects of IGAD.
- Develop and implement policies that would facilitate Free Movement of goods and services among the IGAD Member States
- Preparation of template agreements for Member States on common issues like trade, industry and private sector development and investments
- Formulation and implementation of Joint Programs in Research and Developments in the key areas of integration to encompass investments, industry, and international trade negotiations, among others
- Review and implement the IGAD trade, investment and tourism programnmes in the context of IGAD mission
- Promote Standardization and Quality Assurance Provisions in the context of trade, investment and tourism
- Implement Investment Codes and ensure their application by local and foreign investors
- Along with other Division staff, establish strategic partnership with international, continental and regional institutions.
- Enhancement of capacity building at IGAD Secretariat particularly in the matters pertaining to international trade negotiations, trade facilitations, investment regimes harmonization, etc.
- Together with other Division staff, monitor developments at the international, continental and regional levels and work on mainstreaming the decisions arrived at by the other regional bodies into the programs, projects and services of IGAD, and to fast track the programs and services of these institutions into the programs of IGAD and ultimately into its member States.
- Promotion of the activities of the private sector and assure that the sector is consulted in the formulation of regional integration policies and processes
- Support the engendering of policies for increased participation of women in formal trade.
- Strengthen institutional capacity in research on trade issues and analytical work to inform trade policy formulation, enhanced statistical databases, and creation of regional network of trade negotiators.
- Represent IGAD, as assigned/recommended by the Division Ditrector in regionally and globally fora to promote, advocate and speak for the organizational on strategic and common issues; coordinate with relevant member state/ regional institutions, implementing partners etc. to ensure that expected results are delivered in a timely manner.
- Prepare and submit reports, policy proposals, position papers and/or documents for internal and external strategic discussions etc.
- Any other duties assigned by the Division Director as required
Minimum Qualifications and Experience
3.1 Educational Requirements
Master’s degree in either, Economics, International Finance, International Trade & Investments, international relations, development economics, economic planning or other related field.
3.2 Experience/ Key skills and competencies
- At least 10 years of relevant experience in economic cooperation, investment, trade and regional integration, including at least 3 years of experience in managing teams that work on trade and integration related projects.
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in developing countries leading trade and regional integration initiatives, project management or program coordination
- Experience on regional co-operation and integration at National Level, preferably more than one country or the level of a REC
- Extensive knowledge of economic integration issues and familiarity with international trade policies and international trade negotiations covering African Union, WTO, EAPs and AGOA, among others
- Strong quantitative skills and research experience on economic development and policy analysis, economics of climate change and gender mainstreaming
- A solid understanding of macroeconomic analysis, public finance and policy
- Experience in Programme Management
- Knowledge of the IGAD regional dynamics and countries
- Experience working in the IGAD region is highly desirable
- Experience in managing multi donor funds
Skills and Abilities:
- Strong analytical ability–able to conceptualize and analyze problems and to identify key issues and problems
- Well-developed decision making ability.
- Planning skills – ability to develop clear and consistent goals
- Ability to build and sustain relationships with key constituents (internal/external/ bilateral/ multilateral/public/private; civil society) Creative and practical approach to problem solving
- Demonstrated experience in the usage of computers and office software packages.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to network and to establish and sustain strategic partnership and alliances
- Language requirements
Fluency in English is required. French is an added advantage.
How to Apply
Appropriately qualified applicants from IGAD Member States are eligible to apply.
Interested candidates should send their applications in PDF format enclosed with a cover letter, Curriculum Vitae, academic documents, copy of passports/ ID cards biometric page, three reference persons including the last employer. The application should be sent by E-mail to the following addresses: E-mail address: email@example.com with subject line ‘ECRID-PMTRI’.
Closing date for application will be on 15 December 2023. Due to the large number of applications we expect to receive; only successful candidates who meet the required experience & qualifications for this position will be contacted. Contact: + 25321354050
IGAD is an equal opportunity employer. Female candidates are encouraged to apply
Download attached ToR document in PDF below
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org