INTERGOVERNMENTAL AUTHORITY ON DEVELOPMENT (IGAD)
Position title: Liaison Officer- IGAD Regional Migration Fund
Organizational Unit: IGAD Health and Social Development Division
Reports to: Regional Migration Fund Project Operations Coordinator
Number of positions: 2
Duty Station: Togo-wachale (1 Togo-wachale town Ethiopia side and 1 Togo-Wachale of Somaliland side)
Employment Duration: 12 months, with possibility for extension based on availability of funds.
Date of Posting: 2 August 2022
Deadline for Applications: 20 August 2022
In March 2017, the Intergovernmental Authority on Development (IGAD) and the German Government agreed to cooperate in addressing mobility and displacement challenges in the IGAD region through grassroots development approach. The Agreement encompassed complementary activities under Financial Cooperation (via KfW Development Bank) and Technical Cooperation (via GIZ). Under the Agreement, IGAD intends to set-up a “Regional Migration Fund supporting Refugees, Migrants and Host Communities in IGAD region”. The Regional Migration Fund (RMF) will initially be funded via KfW Development Bank. The RMF shall serve as the nucleus for the IGAD Migration Fund that is foreseen in the Regional Migration Policy Framework (RMPF) and the Migration Action Plan (MAP).
The RMF shall finance different community level investment projects in the IGAD region to improve the livelihoods and living conditions and economic opportunities for migrants, refugees and host communities and to strengthen social cohesion. Two possible investment windows have been identified for the RMF. Measures within Investment Window 1 shall enhance economic potential of border areas along migration routes through increased employment and livelihoods for migrants and local communities, in particular youth. Measures within Investment Window 2 shall enhance the socio-economic inclusion of refugees and host communities in protracted displacement situations. In a broader sense, the Regional Migration Fund measures will strengthen the mandate of IGAD within the migration context and contribute to regional integration. The day-to-day operations of the RMF will be managed by a contracted international consultancy acting as IGAD RMF Management Unit (FMU).
Accordingly, IGAD is under the process of commencing Togo-wachale cross border area development under investment Window 1 aimed at improving the livelihoods for migrants and local communities along the migration corridor. In order to facilitate the implementation of the planned Regional Migration Fund projects at Togo-wachale cross border location, IGAD wants to recruit a dedicated Liaison Officer.
- Overall Responsibilities:
S/he shall have the overall responsibility for facilitating field level project identification process, represent IGAD and liaison with relevant local level stakeholders, ensure beneficiary community participation and support the day-to-day operations of the RMF in the targeted area. Moreover, S/he should pay regular visits to the project activity sites in the community and reports back managerially to the Coordinator Regional Migration Fund Operations and technically to the Team leader of the Implementing Consultant.
- Core Duties and Responsibilities
Under the direction and supervision of the Coordinator Regional Migration Fund Operations, Liaison Officer shall perform the following:
- Act as IGAD’s focal person in overseeing the operations of the FMU;
- Conduct monitoring mission outside of Togo-wachale on operation areas;
- Serve as primary focal person for liaising with local authorities and communities in relation to the RMF issues;
- Ensure good working relationships between the target communities i,e host communities, migrants, IDPs and refugees;
- Ensure good relationships between project stakeholders including NGOs, private sector and other relevant service providers;
- Establish a functional LCC (Local Coordination Committee) at the cross border comprising members with balanced or equity gender representation;
- Facilitate and convene LCC (Local Coordination Committee) monthly meetings to update members on progress;
- Carry out project monitoring and evaluations with members of LCC or relevant IGAD missions;
- Represent IGAD and participate on relevant other development oriented cross-border meetings;
- Primary focal person for RMF and working with in coordination with implementing NGOs;
- Support the FMU in convening various local administration consultations RMF project implementation including participatory investment planning;
- Participate in regular meetings of the FMU and ensure adequate communication from the field office;
- Facilitate the implementation of the RMF projects by undertaking regular monitoring/inspection visits together with the FMU;
- Undertake any other assignment that requested by the Coordinator Regional Migration Fund Project Operations and Team Leader in direct relation the RMF.
- Minimum Qualifications and Experience
4.1 Educational Requirements
BA degree from a recognized University in Development Studies, Livestock Production Rural Development, Project Management, Community Development and other related disciplines.
4.2 Experience/ Key skills and competencies
- A minimum of 5-years of relevant experience in implementing socio-economic development economic diversification and rural livelihoods projects;
- Experience in migration and displacement programmes in the cross-border area;
- Experience in community-based infrastructure development activities;
- Knowledge of the socio-economic challenges of the area and knowledge of cultural set-up of the community including local language/s;
Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing
- Strong interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to work with minimum supervision
- Ability to coordinate community-based committees
- Language requirements
Fluency in English (both oral and written) is required. As this is National local position, knowledge of Somali language is also a requirement.
- Duration of contract
This position is for a duration of 12 months with possibility for extension based on performance and availability of funds.
- How to Apply
Appropriately qualified applicants from IGAD Member States are eligible to apply.
Interested candidates should send their applications in PDF format including, cover letter, Curriculum Vitae, academic documents, copy of passports/ ID cards biometric page, three reference persons including the last employer.
The application should be sent by E-mail to the following addresses: E-mail address: email@example.com with subject line ‘IGAD-RMF-TWLO’.
Closing date for application will be on 20 August 2022. Due to the large number of applications we expect to receive; only successful candidates who meet the required experience & qualifications for this position will be contacted.
Contact: + 25321354050
IGAD is an equal opportunity employer. Female candidates are encouraged to apply
Download attached ToR in PDF below
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org