Request for Expression of Interest (REOI)-Individual Consultant
Consultancy Service for Gender Analysis of the Blue Economy for IGAD Coastal Countries (Djibouti, Kenya, Somalia and Sudan)
The economy of the IGAD region is mainly based on the use of its terrestrial natural resources while the region is also endowed with huge marine and freshwater resources. However, these marine and freshwater resources are not properly developed and used to improve the livelihoods and food/nutrition security of the region due various constraints. Blue Economy is a new approach to have sustainable development of water-related economic and ecological services in an integrated manner. This approach needs to be popularized and harmonized.
The Blue Economy(BE) Unit of IGAD has developed a 5-year (2021 – 2025) Regional Blue Economy Strategy and its Implementation Plan. The strategy was adopted by ministers on April 1, 2022 in Addis Ababa. The IGAD Blue Economy Strategy intends to structure the Blue Economy implementation at both national and regional levels while increasing cooperation and regional integration, and strengthening support to the member states to effectively translate policies into concrete actions.
In addition, IGAD signed a 3 year project (enhancing blue economy in the IGAD coastal member states for biodiversity conservations and livelihood diversification) aimed at promoting Blue Economy with funding from Sweden. The project is implemented in the four IGAD coastal Member Countries: Djibouti, Kenya, Somalia and Sudan.
With funding support from Sweden Embassy in Addis Ababa the main objectives of the project include:
- improve the governance of the Blue Economy in the IGAD region;
- conduct marine biodiversity situation analyses;
- develop/adopt tools for Blue Economy valuation;
- make inventory of chemical and plastic pollutants from source to sea;
- assess the impact of pollution (Plastic and chemical) and develop mitigation measures on aquatic biodiversity and ecosystems;
- develop and apply tools to monitor and mitigate chemical and plastic pollutions in the concerned coastal member countries.
OBJECTIVE OF THE CONSULTANCY:
The proposed Gender analysis will allow IGAD allows to understand the level of participation of men and women in the blue economy sector and well as define existing available opportunities for men and women taking into account different intersectionalities. the analyse will provide information relevant for designing appropriate Blue economy gender equality goals and work in a manner that is sensitive to and reflects the different experiences and needs and priorities of women and men to inform development and implementation of gender-responsive accountability and learning systems.
The consultant(s) is expected to conduct a desk review of most recent gender related studies; not more than 4 years old. In addition, key stakeholders in the civil society, private sector, academic and research institutions and government institutions should be consulted to gather primary data on each of the study areas.
The consultant is expected to produce a report highlighting both qualitative and quantitative data.
The regional consultant will hire 4 national consultants that will produce 4 national reports. The lead consultant will do his selection and agreement with the national consultants
SCOPE OF THE ASSIGNMENT
The study is expected to provide an overview of the country’s gender situation but with special focus on the Coastal communities.
In addition, the study is expected to look into existing national level policies, strategies and institutional arrangements along the line of addressing prevailing gender inequalities, women rights in particular and gender dynamics.
Below deliverables are 4 national reports and 1 synthesis regional report extracted from the 4 national reports.
- Literature review (internal and external information on gender dynamics in light of the study areas )
- Inception report indicating process, outputs, outcomes and methodology. This must be signed off by the Blue Economy lead and Gender Affairs programme at IGAD
- A comprehensive draft zero Gender Analysis report, which outlines the processes followed, methodologies of the study, the strategic findings and Implication for policy and programmes
- Two-day debriefing workshop, sharing of the key findings of the gender analysis.
Revision of the report in light of the workshop comments/inputs and subsequent submission of a final report.
QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
The consultant selected will have the following expertise:
- The minimum academic qualification is post-graduate degree (Masters) in Gender studies;
- Minimum of five years of relevant professional work experience in conducting gender related work including conducting gender analysis studies and other social and anthropological research;
- Proven knowledge of social, economic, political and legal context of four study area including knowledge of gender related policies, and human rights issues as well as livelihood challenges especially for women.
- Proven experience in designing and leading researches on gender related to development, interventions and gender-specific interventions, and relevant publications in this field.
- Extensive knowledge of gender issues at work in rural and coastal context on gender based division of work, access control and ownership of resources, hierarchies and decision making power relations, intra household power relations etc.
- A good knowledge of gender related socio-economic factors in the IGAD Region including specific conditions affecting women and men, boys and girls and intersection with ethnic, class or age factors.
Ability to produce well-written reports, in a plain and approachable text, demonstrating excellent analytical skills
TENURE OF THE ASSIGNMENT
The consultancy should be conducted 45 working days spread over 3 months including planning, desk review and analysis, write up, feedback and production of the final report.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested Consultants must provide information indicating that they are qualified to perform the services by sending via email:
- Cover letter with the Lead Consultant’s current contact information including how the candidate’s previous experience matches the consultancy objectives as well as their interest for the position;
- Comprehensive CV of the Lead Consultant and professional references or letter of recommendation
- CVs of the Four National consultants that the Lead Consultant will be working with to deliver the assignment
Eligibility criteria, establishment of the short-list and the selection procedure shall be in accordance IGAD procurement regulations.
NB: For more Information, please see the attached Terms of Reference
Interested individual Consultants may obtain further information at the address below during office hours from Sunday to Thursday 7:30am to 2:30pm local time, or by email to email@example.com with copies to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The consultant should submit their Expression of Interest (EOI) to: email@example.com with Copies to firstname.lastname@example.org not later than 28th August, 2022 at 23:59 Hrs. EAT (GMT+3).
Please note that at this stage no PROPOSALS whether TECHNICAL or FINANCIAL are requested.
Administration and Finance
Avenue Georges Clemenceau
P.O. Box 2653, Djibouti, Republic of Djibouti
Download attached ToR in PDF below
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com