Dec. 07, 2018, KHARTOUM (Sudan): The Seventh Meeting of Ministers responsible for Women/Gender Affairs of the Intergovernmental Authority on Development (IGAD) Member States was held on Dec. 06, 2018 in Khartoum under the theme: “Leaving No One Behind: Promoting Gender Equality and Women’s Empowerment (GEWE) to enhance Drought Resilience, Regional Integration and Peace for Sustainable Development”.
The following three priority thematic areas formed the core of deliberations of the Seventh Meeting of IGAD Ministers Responsible for Women/ Gender Affairs:
Gender and Drought Resilience with special attention to cross border areas
- Gender and Migration, and
- Gender, Peace and Security, with specific focus on efforts to promote gender equality in Peace Support Operations (PSOs).
The above thematic areas are drawn from IGAD’s Regional Strategy (2016-2020) and the IGAD Gender Strategy (2016-2020).
The ministerial meeting was preceded by a two-day discourse of relevant experts from Member States on the priority thematic areas, in line with the UN 2030 Agenda and AU Agenda 2063.
The Experts and Ministerial Meetings were held under the following principal objectives:
- Taking stock of key achievements and challenges (2010-2018) for GEWE in the IGAD Region.
- Informing IGAD’s priorities on ‘Leaving No One Behind’ with specific reference to the three priority thematic areas of focus of the Seventh Ministerial Meeting (Drought Resilience, Migration as well as Peace and Security- PSOs).
- Re-positioning IGAD and its commitments to GEWE in light of AU Agenda 2063 and SDGs.