Regional pharmaceutical production in the IGAD region has received minimal support from the international community because most procurement systems encourage purchase of cheap imported medicines rather than investing in local production. Promotion of regional manufacture of essential medicines complements the continental agenda of the African Union, the Pharmaceutical Manufacturing Plan for Africa (PMPA) endorsed in 2007 by member states. The advent of COVID-19 augments the need to foster private sector stakeholder engagement within the pharmaceutical industry with the aim of strengthening the regional manufacture of essential lifesaving medicines. This conference will examine and discuss the challenges and opportunities in pharmaceutical manufacturing in the Horn of Africa in the context of COVID-19 pandemic. IGAD is convinced that making the case for collaborative investments in manufacturing will be cost effective if manufacturers can target the region rather than individual countries.
Guidelines for submission of Abstracts
This call invites ischolars and practitioners especially those from the continent of Africa and IGAD region with expertise in the subject matter to submit abstracts. Submitted abstracts should relate to the conference themes and follow the guideline below. Please ensure that you read and conform to the guidelines set out
below before submitting an abstract.
• Abstracts should be written in English or French and be 250-300 words excluding the abstract title, authors and their designations and INCLUDES up to 3 references (Harvard style) where necessary and appropriate.
Abstracts must use the following outline (with the exception of case reports):
- Aims, objective or purpose
For case reports ONLY use the following section headings:
- Case Summary
• Interested authors should send a one-page CV/ bio, with latest publications and contact details (email address and phone numbers);
• Submissions should indicate the theme that the abstract falls under. Please select the most appropriate topic category that fits into your submission from this list below and indicate thematic number in your submission:
- Theme A1: Impact of coronavirus pandemic on manufacturing and supply chains in the Horn of Africa
- Theme A2: National and regional policies and trade-related challenges that affect manufacturing in the Horn of Africa
- Theme A3: Potential opportunities for manufacture of innovative medicines and vaccines in the Horn of Africa.
- Theme A4: Opportunities for pharmaceutical bulk pooled procurement in IGAD region
Deadline for submission of abstracts: August 31st, 2021
Notification of acceptance of abstracts: September 20th, 2021
Conference Dates: October 20-21, 2021
Information to note
The decision of the reviewers and IGAD Secretariat on the acceptability of a submission is final.
The reviewers and IGAD Secretariat reserve the right to accept or refuse an abstract and to choose a suitable session for the abstract.
Declaration of Consent to Publication and Assignation of Copyright: By submitting an abstract the authors collectively accept that the submitted abstract constitutes my consent to publication (e.g. conference website, programs, other promotions, etc.). The Abstract Submitter also grants the IGAD Secretariat a royalty-free, perpetual, irrevocable nonexclusive license to use, reproduce, publish, translate, distribute, and display the Content. The IGAD Secretariat reserve the right to remove from any publication an abstract which does not comply with the above. The corresponding author is responsible for informing the other authors about the status of the abstract.
Partners: This Conference is organized by IGAD, United States Agency for International Development/Kenya and East Africa (USAID/KEA), United States Pharmacopeia Convention-Program on Quality of Medicines Plus (USP-PQM+), and the Medicines Technologies and Pharmaceutical Services (MTaPS) Program in cooperation with member states.
Organising committee: Please contact the conference secretariat if you have any queries regarding abstract submission. For any enquiries regarding the conference call for abstracts, please contact:
Hafsa Bashir Yussuf
IGAD Health and Social Development
Kenya Medical Training College - Karen Campus
P.O. Box 24921,
Nairobi – 00502, Kenya
T: + 254 710 241 313 or +254 724 065 344