Oct. 7, 2019, (ADDDIS ABABA, Ethiopia): The Minister of Peace of the Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia, Hon. Jamal Atto Zeynu, today opened 12th Regional Consultative Process (RCP) of the Inter-governmental Authority on Development (IGAD) on Migration in Addis Ababa.
The IGAD Regional Consultative Process (RCP) on Migration, whose theme this year is ‘Regional Exchange on Experiences in Supporting Resilience and Durable Solutions to Internal Displacement in the IGAD Region’, is meant to promoting exchange of experiences among IGAD member states and sharing lessons learned with the wider international community.
The participants to the IGAD Migration RCP include:
- technical representatives from national ministries;
- regional and local authorities from areas highly impacted by internal displacement;
- National Human Rights Institution representatives;
- National Protection Cluster Coordinators;
- AU, IGAD and other Regional Economic Community representatives;
- UN Resident Coordinators/Humanitarian Coordinators and UN agencies;
- NGOs, private sector, development partners;
- representatives of displacement-affected communities; and
- local, regional and international experts on subject matter.
Speaking at the inauguration ceremony the Director of Health and Social Development Division-IGAD, Ms Fathia A. Alwan, highlighted the fact that the 12th IGAD RCP on Migration was the first to be dedicated to the Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs).
‘It is indeed the first time that IGAD has partnered with GP20, a multi-stakeholder initiative bringing together UN entities, NGOs, academia, UN Member States, the World Bank and the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement to advance prevention, protection and solutions for internally displaced persons (IDPs)’, she added.
She reminded the audience that the RCP forum provided a unique platform to share experiences particularly on good practices and lessons Learnt in supporting the resilience and durable solutions to internal displacement.
This regional exchange provides a platform for government officials and other stakeholders to share their experience and expertise in supporting resilience and durable solutions to internal displacement in their contexts.
Specifically, this event aims to:
- Take stock, draw lessons and document operational practices and their lessons learned on supporting resilience and durable solutions to internal displacement in Djibouti, Ethiopia, Kenya, Somalia, Sudan, South Sudan and Uganda;
- Identify the current needs and challenges in supporting resilience, preventing displacement, improving the protection of IDPs and achieving durable solutions to internal displacement in the IGAD region, including ratifying and implementing the Kampala Convention and other policy frameworks;
This event is expected to come to an end after having achieved the following:
- An outcome document with key conclusions, recommendations and commitments on durable solutions to internal displacement IGAD Regional Consultative Process 2019 meeting report;
- Inclusion of lessons learnt into a global compilation of good practices and lessons learned to address internal displacement that will be published in 2020 as a product of the GP20 Plan of Action for IDPs (2018-2020) and fed into relevant global processes.
The Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia hosting the 12th IGAD Migration RCP. The Government of Switzerland is providing financial support to the event while the Global Protection Cluster brought technical assistance to GP20 and IGAD with the organisation of the event.