The Peace and Security Division is mandated to deal with issues related to Peace and Security and Humanitarian Affairs. The division has three main programme components, namely:
- Conflict Prevention, Management and Resolution (CPMR),
- Political Affairs, and
- Humanitarian Affairs.
The Division also coordinates the activities of two IGAD institutions based in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, IGAD Capacity Building Programme Against Terrorism (ICPAT) and Early Warning and Early Response Mechanism secretariat (CEWARN).
The sector has the overall objective of ensuring that there is security in the Sub-region and the humanitarian sufferings of the Sub-region is addressed. The devastating conflicts and natural disasters in the IGAD Sub-region justify the pursuit of these goals. The IGAD Sub-region suffers from natural disasters and conflicts. As a result refugees and displaced persons are found in all member states. Most of the projects initiated by the Political and Humanitarian Affairs Sector are under formulation, whereas a number of peace initiatives are being undertaken.
The Sectors's long term objectives are: to ensure that peace and stability prevail in the sub-region so that economic development can take place; and contribute towards alleviation and mitigation of humanitarian crisis through long term strategies and response to acute crises. This requires development of conflict, prevention, management and resolution tools and use of early warning and early response mechanism to prevent conflicts as well as capacity building in these areas. It also requires development of a capacity to be better prepared to respond to humanitarian crises and mitigate human sufferings.
Conflict Prevention, Management and Resolution
The Conflict Prevention, Management and Resolution programme deals with security and political issues in the Peace and Security Division. The section is involved in actvities and programmes in Post-Agreement follow up of Peace initiatives of both Sudan and Somalia conflicts, development of counter -terrorism strategy, Coordination of the Eastern Africa Standby Brigade (EASBRIG), Small Arms and Light Weapons, Landmines, Civil Society, Inter-parliamentary Union of IGAD Member States and Conflict Early Warning and Early Response Unit.
The programme components include:
(1) Conflict Resolution
- Sudan Peace Process
- Somalia Peace Process
- Archiving the Somalia Peace Process
(2) Conflict Management
- Development of Conflict Prevention, Management and Resolution Strategy in the IGAD region
- Coordination of the East African Standby Brigade (EASBRIG)
- Control of Illicit Small arms and light weapons in the IGAD region
- Coordination of the IGAD Inter-Parliamentary Union (IPU-IGAD)
- The Assembly of the IGAD-NGO/CSO Forum
(3) Conflict Prevention
- Conflict Early Warning and Response Mechanism (CEWARN)
The humanitarian affairs section has the following components:
1. Disaster Risk Management Programme
- Enhancing DRM Capability Through Training
- Resources mobilization for implementation of the DRM
- DRM as component of the Regional Food Security and Risk Management Programme (REFORM)
- Establishing Regional Disaster (Emergency) Fund
- The Risk Management of Bird Flue/Avian Influenza
2. Alleviation and Mitigation of Humanitarian Crises
- Refugees, Returnees and IDPs (Internally Displaced Persons)