Position Title: Gender Program Manager
Job Group: Professional staff
Duty Station: Djibouti with frequent travel in the IGAD region
Tenure of appointment: One year with possible extension based on the satisfactory performance and availability of funds
- Job Summary
IGAD Gender Program supports IGAD Division, Programs and Specialized Offices to implement gender mainstreaming in their respective work and promotion of Gender Equality and Women’s Empowerment. The Office has the responsibility of fostering initiatives that contribute to achievement of international and regional normative standards and commitments on gender equality and women’s empowerment. In addition the office provides input, guidance and recommendations on all gender perspectives in the work of IGAD Offices and Specialized Institutions. The Gender Program Manager is expected to advocate for greater attention to gender perspectives and provide requisite technical support on gender responsive design, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of IGAD policies, strategies and projects.
- Overall Purpose
The Program Manager, Gender Affairs promotes gender equality, empower women and addresses social marginalization and discrimination through IGAD policies, strategies and programs.
- Core Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop strategies and policies that provide a framework for the work of the organization and outline IGAD’s overall approach to gender issues including mainstreaming.
- Enhance public awareness and identification of best practices on promotion of gender equality and women’s empowerment.
- Enhance capacity building for Member States in implementing, reviewing and reporting on international, continental and regional normative standards on gender equality and women’s empowerment
- Provide technical leadership for implementation and review of IGAD Gender Policy, IGAD Gender Management System, thematic regional action plans on women and ensure internalization of the policy by IGAD divisions, specialized offices, Programs and projects
- Design and implement targeted regional interventions in the area of gender equality and women’s empowerment, including inter alia, gender based violence; women’s economic empowerment; and women, peace and security
- Lead and direct all gender focused advocacy campaigns and liaise with the communications team and relevant subject matter specialists to produce information and knowledge products, media briefs and other advocacy materials/Programs.
- Develop indicators for assessing progress of gender mainstreaming, adapted to the various sectors, thematic areas and key regional priorities
- Promote the collect, analysis and dissemination, on a regular basis, gender disaggregated data to inform regional policies, Programs and projects
- Network, capacity build and, develop and maintain partnerships with local partners, international and local institutions, Member State delegations and other stakeholders active in the region to meet organizational goals and objectives on gender equality and women’s empowerment
- Mobilize resources for gender equality and women’s empowerment interventions on including identifying potential donors, developing proposals, maintaining positive relations and dialogue with donors and partners and, reporting to donors in line with their requirements.
- Develop, maintain and disseminate a comprehensive library of materials on gender, a database of gender specialists and a knowledge base on gender perspectives and good practice examples of the different types of work carried out in the department or by partners.
- Support and monitor the progress of gender units and specialists in the region/member countries including paying regular visit, providing information, guidelines and tools based and meeting specific requests for support, including links to consultants and financiers.
- Prepare issue papers on gender perspectives and reports on the work of the department.
- Minimum Qualifications and Experience
4.1 Educational Requirements
- Masters degree in gender studies, human rights, development studies, social sciences or related fields
- At least seven years of experience in management of gender equality and women’s empowerment Programs in government, regional/international organization or equivalent
- Demonstrated knowledge of and practical experience in developing gender policies, Program management, advocacy and gender mainstreaming
- Knowledge and understanding of gender and related policies and agreements relevant to the IGAD region.
- Demonstrated Knowledge and understanding of Program management and monitoring and evaluating Program activities.
- Key Skills and Competencies
- Strong proposal writing and reporting skills.
- Gender training skills
- Highly developed advocacy and campaigning skills.
- Results oriented.
- Strong relationship building and networking skills.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills
- Language requirements
- Fluency in both written and spoken English
- Knowledge of French Language will be added advantage
Closing date for application will be on 19 May 2021. Due to the large number of applications we expect to receive; only successful candidates who meet the required experience & qualifications for this position will be contacted. Contact: + 25321354050
IGAD is an equal opportunity employer. Female candidates are encouraged to apply