INTERGOVERNMENTAL AUTHORITY ON DEVELOPMENT (IGAD)
“Towards Common Regional Mechanism for Refugee Management” Project
(Sweden Contribution No. 10949)
Title of Position:
Project Officer-Refugee Protection & Asylum law
IGAD Secretariat, Djibouti
Director of Health and Social Development
Project Coordinator/Migration Officer
IGAD has entered into a grant agreement with the Government of Sweden represented by the Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency (SIDA) to pursue efforts towards a common regional mechanism for refugee management aimed at promoting predictable, fair and gender responsive approaches to refugee management and asylum protection.
These efforts form a key pillar of the IGAD Support Platform that was established at the Global Refugee Forum in December 2019 and will contribute to the implementation the Global Compact for Refugees (GCR) and the Comprehensive Refugee Response Framework (CRRF) as defined in the Nairobi Declaration and Plan of Action.
The project will support the harmonisation of refugee protection and management policies, legislation and practices across the IGAD region based on a full and inclusive application of the international refugee protection principles as enshrined in the international instruments. It will strengthen the implementation of regional commitments by promoting comparable and predictable mechanisms for refugee management, strengthen sharing of experience and best practices on refugee management and asylum protection, as well as promote the transfer of technical capacity between IGAD member states.
In order to support the roll-out and the implementation of the RMF, IGAD wishes to recruit a Project Officer- Refugee Protection & Asylum law. S/he shall have the overall responsibility for spearheading the roll out and implementation of the project in collaboration with the migration team, other IGAD divisions, specialised institutions and programmes. The incumbent will need to build and maintain effective interfaces with communities of concern, authorities, protection and assistance partners as well as a broader network of stakeholders who can contribute to the harmonisation of refugee protection and management policies, legislation and practices.
Under the overall supervision of the Director of Health and Social Development, and the direct supervision of the Migration Officer, the Project Officer shall perform the following:
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
- Spearhead and contribute to the development of a common IGAD regional refugee management framework and ensure meaningful participation of all the relevant stakeholders in the process
- Provide strategic advice to IGAD on policy in project-related areas with the aim of ensuring harmonization across the IGAD region.
- Spearhead the assessment of IGAD member states’ refugee management and asylum protection policies, legislation and practices with aim of identifying opportunities and entry points for regional harmonization
- Primary focal person for IGAD Member States, UNHCR, communities of concern, protection and assistance partners as well as a broader network of stakeholders at all levels to ensure coordination and information exchange on the project related activities.
- Take leadership in supporting governments in the drafting and review of national refugee and asylum protection policies, legislation and guidelines.
- Support in mobilizing and convening various regional, national and subnational consultations related to the harmonization of refugee management and asylum protection policies, legislation and practices with aim of identifying opportunities and entry points for regional harmonization
- Contribute to strengthening member country’s capacity for implementation of national legislations, policies and guidelines and the evaluation of operational performance through the development of relevant tools and approaches.
- Contribute to fostering and maintaining new partnerships whole-of-government including local authorities as applicable, private sector, civil society, academia, development partners, regional organizations and other actors geared towards development and implementation of the common IGAD regional refugee management and in line in line with the GCR and application of comprehensive responses.
- Identify and respond to member states’ specific support needs on refugee management and asylum protection.
- Promote sharing of experiences and good practices by facilitating exchange visits between IGAD member states as well as between IGAD and other regions.
- Produce periodic reports for internal consumption and external and donor communication
- Undertake any other assignment that might be requested by the Director of Health and Social Development related to the project.
Profile and Qualifications:
- A Master’s in Law, Refugee Law, International Law, political Sciences or or an equivalent qualification from a recognized University;
- Knowledge of International Refugee and Human Rights Law and ability to apply the relevant legal principles;
- A minimum of 5-year professional experience in the area of refugee protection, human rights or international humanitarian law.
- Overall knowledge of refugee dynamics in the IGAD region and a good understanding of regional approaches in addressing forced displacement.
- Working knowledge of English and French, with strong oral and written communication and presentation skills.
How to apply
Only candidates who meet the profile of the minimum qualifications, experience and core competences stated above need apply. Submitted applications should be accompanied by the candidate’s detailed CV, copies of both academic and professional certificates and testimonials, names and addresses of three reputable referees and the candidate’s contact details (E-mail address and telephone numbers).
The applications should be addressed to:
The Director, Administration & Finance, IGAD,
- O. Box 2653, Djibouti,
Republic of Djibouti;
Sent by email:
Deadline for submission of applications
Must be received at the IGAD Secretariat by c.o.b. Friday 24th July 2020.
IGAD is an equal opportunities employer. Female candidates are encouraged to apply.