INTERGOVERNMENTAL AUTHORITY ON DEVELOPMENT (IGAD)
“Towards Common Regional Mechanism for Refugee Management” Project
(Sweden Contribution No. 10949)
Title of Position:
Capacity Building Associate-Refugee & Asylum Protection
IGAD Secretariat, Djibouti
Director of Health and Social Development
Project Coordinator/Migration Officer
IGAD has entered into a grant agreement with the Government of Sweden represented by the Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency (SIDA) to pursue efforts towards a common regional mechanism for refugee management aimed at promoting predictable, fair and gender responsive approaches to refugee management and asylum protection.
These efforts form a key pillar of the IGAD Support Platform that was established at the Global Refugee Forum in December 2019 and will contribute to the implementation the Global Compact for Refugees (GCR) and the Comprehensive Refugee Response Framework (CRRF) as defined in the Nairobi Declaration and Plan of Action.
The project will support the harmonisation of refugee protection and management policies, legislation and practices across the IGAD region based on a full and inclusive application of the international refugee protection principles as enshrined in the international instruments. It will strengthen the implementation of regional commitments by promoting comparable and predictable mechanisms for refugee management, strengthen sharing of experience and best practices on refugee management and asylum protection, as well as promote the transfer of technical capacity between IGAD member states. Further the project will support capacity building for member states in the area of management of refugees and durable solutions towards a harmonised regional approach.
In order to support the roll-out and the implementation of the project activities, IGAD wishes to recruit a Capacity Building Associate-Refugee & Asylum Protection. S/he shall have the overall responsibility for identifying and responding to member states’ specific support needs on refugee management and asylum protection. The incumbent will work closely with the Policy Officer on Refugee Protection & Asylum law in assessing IGAD member states’ refugee management and asylum protection policies, legislation and practices with aim of identifying capacity gaps and technical support for the harmonization of refugee management and asylum protection policies, legislation and practices.
Under the overall supervision of the Director of Health and Social Development, the direct supervision of the Migration Officer and with support of the Policy Officer, The Capacity Building Associate shall perform the following:
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
- Strengthen the technical abilities of national refugee authorities;
- Provide legislative support to ensure that laws and policies incorporate principles and standards that are compliant with international refugee law;
- Promote coherence of actions in refuge management and asylum protection across the region in line with legal frameworks;
- Ensure that refugees enjoy their rights and access to services which promote self-reliance.
- Support efforts to develop of a common IGAD regional refugee management framework including by mobilizing and convening various regional, national and subnational consultations related to the harmonization of refugee management and asylum protection policies, legislation and practices
- Support governments in the drafting and review of national refugee and asylum protection policies, legislation and guidelines.
- Support capacity development for key government partners and stakeholders in refugee protection including in applicable regional and international legal frameworks.
- Provide necessarily linkages with GCR efforts on facilitating durable solutions for refugees, returnees and internally displaced persons towards a holistic response.
- Support efforts to promote learning and sharing of experiences and good practices by facilitating exchange visits between IGAD member states as well as between IGAD and other regions.
- Produce periodic reports for internal consumption and external and donor communication
- Conduct regular support missions to IGAD member countries as required
- Undertake any other assignment that might be requested by the Director of Health and Social Development related to the project.
Profile and Qualifications:
- A Master’s in Law, Refugee Law, International Law, political Sciences or an equivalent qualification from a recognized University;
- Knowledge of International Refugee and Human Rights Law and ability to apply the relevant legal principles;
- A minimum of 3-year professional experience in the area of refugee protection, human rights or international humanitarian law.
- Overall knowledge of refugee dynamics in the IGAD region and a good understanding of regional approaches in addressing forced displacement.
- Working knowledge of English and French, with strong oral and written communication and presentation skills.
How to apply
Only candidates who meet the profile of the minimum qualifications, experience and core competences stated above need apply. Submitted applications should be accompanied by the candidate’s detailed CV, copies of both academic and professional certificates and testimonials, names and addresses of three reputable referees and the candidate’s contact details (E-mail address and telephone numbers).
The applications should be addressed to:
The Director, Administration & Finance, IGAD,
- O. Box 2653, Djibouti,
Republic of Djibouti;
Sent by email:
Deadline for submission of applications
Must be received at the IGAD Secretariat by c.o.b. Friday 24th July 2020
IGAD is an equal opportunities employer. Female candidates are encouraged to apply