INTERGOVERNMENTAL AUTHORITY ON DEVELOPMENT (IGAD)
Title of Position:
Monitoring, Accountability, Evaluation and Learning (MEAL) Expert
IGAD Secretariat, Djibouti
One Year Renewable
Director, Agriculture and Environment
Land Governance Expert
The IGAD Land Governance Unit is within the Agriculture and Environment Division and is supported through funding of the Swiss Development Corporation (SDC) and the Swedish Embassy in Addis Ababa.
Land governance in IGAD involves integrating sustainability objectives into poverty reduction practices, building internal and external capacities, promoting regional strategies, policies and programs for improving land governance and improving the capacity of IGAD to deliver land related programmes to achieve broader socio-economic and human development goals. To do this the project focuses on implementing the AU Declaration on Land issues and challenges in Africa by –
- convening periodic regional platforms to facilitate experience sharing, lessons learnt and dissemination of best practices in land policy formulation, implementation and monitoring based on members states experiences;
- Appropriately capture and address issues of land policies within common agricultural policy frameworks.
- Undertaking measures for the establishment of mechanisms for progress tracking and periodic reporting by Member States on progress achieved.
In this context the Intergovernmental Authority on Development (IGAD) with financial support from the Embassy of Sweden in Addis Ababa developed a two year project called "Improving land governance in the IGAD Region Realizing transnational land governance in the IGAD region through Capacity Development on innovations in land administration, strengthening gender equality and land monitoring."
The project is aimed at helping IGAD and its member states to address the various land policy and governance issues and constraints faced by countries in the East and the Horn of Africa. Concerted efforts are required in order to deliver land policy and institutional reforms. Concerted efforts aim at:
- Garnering political will at national and regional levels to address land governance and land related challenges
- Facilitating peer learning of successes and failures among member states.
- Facilitating review of progress achieved made in delivering sound policy and institutional reforms
- Forging strong coordination and partnerships that address existing knowledge, resources and capacity needs
- Building capacity of the secretariat to be able to engage member states on land policy development and implementation.
In view of the above mentioned, IGAD seeks to recruit a Monitoring, Accountability, Evaluation and Learning (MEAL) Expert to support the implementation of the project.
Organizational Setting and Reporting Relationships: This position is located in the IGAD headquarters in Djibouti. The Monitoring, Accountability, Evaluation and Learning Expert reports to the Land Governance Expert who coordinates the Land Governance Unit.
Responsibilities: Within limits of delegated authority and depending on location, Monitoring, Accountability, Evaluation and Learning (MEAL) Expert will be responsible for the monitoring and ensuring high quality and timely inputs, and for ensuring that the Land Governance Unit maintains its strategic vision and that its activities result in the achievement of its intended outputs in a cost effective and timely manner. The MEAL Expert will be responsible for designing and implementing the M&E activities of the unit, assisting the Coordinator in preparing Quarterly/Annual reports on project progress and will monitor the project activities on a regular basis, developing and maintaining the MIS of the Land Governance Unit and will be responsible for the collection & analysis of different data in relation to the project activities. The MEAL works in close collaboration with the Director Agriculture and Environment and the Agriculture and Food Security Programme and the LGU operations clusters in cross border areas, Government officials, private sector, non-government and civil society organizations.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL) Expert will have the following duties and responsibilities:
- Develop and implement a robust monitoring and evaluation system for the IGAD Land Governance Unit that will ensure tracking of project/ programme results at different levels (outputs, outcomes and impact).
- Develop/ adopt an integrated database of all regional and country projects/ programmes and ensure accountability through regular data updates, data integrity and working in collaboration with other M&E Experts.
- Ensure all grants have updated work-plans and performance management plans (PMPs) in tandem with all approved proposals, regularly reviewing and updating as needed;
- Work with the LGU technical staff to ensure the collection of relevant and appropriate data needed for an effective MEAL system which will be utilized in monitoring strengths, weaknesses and gaps in existing projects/ programs and services and for reporting on donor commitments.
- Carry out data quality assessments/ audits regularly for MEAL data based on agreed indicators to guide decision making;
- Monitor and evaluate overall progress on achievement of results including monitoring for the sustainability of the projects’ results;
- Ensure that cross cutting issues such as participation, gender, age and disability are effectively addressed/ mainstreamed in all projects implementation as part of ensuring accountability.
- Provide relevant evidence for learning from projects and share learning and provide constructive comments to colleagues in order to ensure programme quality.
- Suggest strategies to the LGU team for improving the efficiency and effectiveness of its projects by identifying bottlenecks in completing projects activities and developing plans to minimize or eliminate such bottlenecks;
- Report monthly, quarterly, half-yearly and annual progress on all projects activities to the IGAD Planning and Coordination Division
- Assist in coordinating across the available components of the LGU Projects to ensure effective implementation of MEAL;
- Assist the Directorate of Agriculture and Environment personnel with M&E tools and in supporting them in their use.
- Support the Directorate of Agriculture and Environment in developing agriculture and food security related interventions.
- Assist the Director Agriculture and Environment in the preparation of reports on the findings and lessons learned from project innovations within AED.
- Keep abreast of new approaches and tools on M&E, and provide training to the Agriculture and Environment Division staff as requested. Enable staff to monitor and evaluate their own efforts, gather relevant data and produce required progress reports;
- Perform other duties as required;
- Demonstrates integrity
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of IGAD
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Organizes and accurately completes multiple tasks by establishing priorities while taking into consideration special assignments, frequent interruptions, deadlines, available resources and multiple reporting relationships
- Plans, coordinates and organizes workload while remaining aware of changing Priorities and competing deadlines
- Establishes, builds and maintains effective working relationships with staff and clients to facilitate the provision of support
- Extent and relevance of experience in land governance, rural development, agriculture, food security and related cross-cutting issues (such as governance, climate change, conflict resolution), in the IGAD Region.
- Extent and relevance of experience in project management and in building and facilitating synergies and partnerships (political partners, technical partners) in monitoring, evaluation, accountability and learning.
Knowledge Management and Learning
- In-depth knowledge on MIS, M&E and development issues
- Excellent knowledge of monitoring and the application of methodology: Good understanding of capacity assessment methodologies; excellent ability to identify significant capacity building opportunities;
- Excellent communication skills (written and oral): Sensitivity to and responsiveness to all partners, Respectful and helpful relations with donors and project staff.
- Ability to lead implementation of new systems (business side), and affect staff behavioural/ attitudinal change
- Focuses on result for the client
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
- Demonstrates strong oral and written communication skills
- Remains calm, in control and good humoured even under pressure
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities
- Responds positively to critical feedback and differing points of view
- Solicits feedback from staff about the impact of his/her own behaviour
EDUCATION AND WORK EXPERIENCE
A PhD in a discipline in Business Administration, Economics, Agricultural Economics, Land or related field with 5 years of practical experience; or Master’s Degree in a discipline relevant to in Business Administration, Economics, Agricultural Economics, Land or related field with at least 7 years practical Experience; or a University degree in a discipline Business Administration, Economics, Agricultural Economics, Land with 10 years of practical experience.
Work experience in the IGAD region will be an advantage.
- At least 5 years of experience in the design and implementation of M&E/MIS in development projects implemented by national/international NGOs/Multilateral agencies/ Government;
- Experience in designing tools and strategies for data collection, analysis and production of reports;
- Proven ICT skills, especially in the development of MIS software using database software;
- Expertise in analysing data using statistical software;
- Strong training & facilitation skills.
- Experience in Agriculture, rural development and food security is an added advantage
For the post advertised, fluency in oral and written English is required. Knowledge of French language is an advantage but not necessary.
HOW TO APPLY
Please, submit /e-mail your CV and short cover letter to address below by 31st of May 2020 at or before 2:00pm (Djibouti time) with a subject line of “Monitoring, Accountability, Evaluation and Learning (MEAL) Expert”.
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
IGAD is an equal opportunity employer. Female candidates are encouraged to apply.