TERMS OF REFERENCE/JOB DESCRIPTION
Programs and Operations Officer, P2
Agriculture and Environment
IGAD Secretariat in Djibouti
Land Governance Expert
Expected Start Date
20th November 2019
Duration of the Assignment
The contract is for one year renewable based on the availability of funds and satisfactory performance
The IGAD Land Governance Project was launched in 2015 as a joint initiative of the Africa Land Policy Centre and IGAD Secretariat, within the Agriculture and Environment Division. The project has been supported through funding of the Swiss Development Corporation (SDC).
Land governance in IGAD involves integrating sustainability objectives into poverty reduction practices, building internal and external capacities, promoting regional strategies, policies and programs for improving land governance and improving the capacity of IGAD to deliver land related programmes to achieve broader socio-economic and human development goals. To do this the project focuses on implementing the AU Declaration on Land issues and challenges in Africa by:
- convening periodic regional platforms to facilitate experience sharing, lessons learnt and dissemination of best practices in land policy formulation, implementation and monitoring based on members states experiences;
- Appropriately capture and address issues of land policies within common agricultural policy frameworks.
- Undertaking measures for the establishment of mechanisms for progress tracking and periodic reporting by Member States on progress achieved.
In this context the Intergovernmental Authority on Development (IGAD) with financial support from the Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation (SDC), developed a three-year project called “Improving land governance in the IGAD region.”
The project is aimed at helping IGAD and its member states to address the various land policy and governance issues and constraints faced by countries in the East and the Horn of Africa.
Concerted efforts are required in order to deliver land policy and institutional reforms. Concerted efforts aim at:
- Garnering political will at national and regional levels to address land governance and land related challenges
- Facilitating peer learning of successes and failures among member states.
- Facilitating review of progress achieved made in delivering sound policy and institutional reforms
- Forging strong coordination and partnerships that address existing knowledge, resources and capacity needs
- Building capacity of the secretariat to be able to engage member states on land policy development and implementation.
In view of the above mentioned, IGAD seeks to recruit a Programs & Operations Officer to support the implementation of the project.
Organizational Setting and Reporting Relationships: This position is located in the IGAD headquarters in Djibouti. The Programs and Operations Officer reports to the Land Governance Expert who coordinates the Land Governance Unit.
Responsibilities: Within limits of delegated authority and depending on location, the Programs and Operations Officer will be responsible for the following duties:
- Provides support of planning and implementation activities/processes for the IGAD Land Governance Unit, ensuring that the workplan and budget are being implemented in a timely manner
- Working closely with the Directorate of Finance and Administration, researches, compiles, analyses, summarizes, and presents basic financial and administration information/data on the Land Governance Unit’s projects and related topics.
- Provides backstopping support to the LGU project staff on Human Resource related matters; work on building a sense of belonging and ownership among LGU Staff; and implement the LGU Staff Development plan in consultation with the IGAD HR Office.
- Takes necessary action to ensure project documents and reports are completed and submitted to relevant parties for approval and dissemination.
- Contributes to the preparation and analysis of the IGAD Land Governance Unit’s project budget proposals; provides assistance in the interpretation of budget guidelines; reviews and coordinates submissions of project proposals and budget estimates, ensuring that requisite information is included and justified in terms of proposed activities and adjustments as are deemed necessary;
- Prepares reports and ensures that outputs/services are properly categorized.
- Participates in the monitoring of the IGAD Land governance Unit projects by maintaining and updating the LGU program management tool;
- Categorizes, updates, tracks and analyses data related to the project, e.g. accounting records, outputs, resources utilized, deviations/revisions, etc.; carries out periodic status reviews, identifies issues and initiates requisite follow-up actions; prepares revised budget estimates; reports on budget revisions, expenditures and obligations, verifies availability of funds; ensures necessary approval and entry in computerized budget system; initiates financial authorizations for expenditures.
- In consultation with the IGAD Finance Officer assigned to the Land Governance Unit, prepares monthly cash flow plans and ensure that bank and cash registers are up to date and checks monthly bank reconciliation statements.
- Prepares payment vouchers, process payments and follows up advances and retirements.
- Assists project internal and external auditors when needed and carries out internal control operations.
- Supports the technical staff of the Land Governance Unit with performance reporting; liaises with relevant parties on the interpretation of the activities/services scheduled in the project budget and various planning instruments such as the medium-term plan and internal work plans; provides assistance on reporting requirements, guidelines, rules and procedures and ensures completeness and accuracy of data submitted.
- Drafts project summaries, coordinates review and clearance process, and coordinates with editor, translation services, etc. on finalization and publication of reports in multiple languages.
- Serves as focal point for coordination, monitoring and expedition of LGU projects implementation activities, involving extensive liaison with diverse organizational units to initiate requests, prepare standard terms of reference against project objectives, obtain necessary clearances, process and follow-up on administrative actions and resolve issues related to project implementation, e.g. recruitment and appointment of personnel, travel arrangements, organization of and participation in training/study tours, authorization of payments, disbursement of funds, procurement of equipment and services, etc.
- Prepares, maintains and updates files (electronic and paper) and internal databases; designs and generates a variety of periodic and ad hoc reports, statistical tables, graphic content, and other background materials/notes to facilitate inspection and other reviews.
- Drafts correspondence and communications related to all aspects of the project administration, including work plan and budgets, revisions and other related issues, as well as prepares unit contributions for a variety of periodic reports.
- Oversees and work with support staff in IGAD in handling all logistics of workshops, events, meetings, including invitations, material, minutes, etc;
- Supervises any support staff and interns as may be assigned to the unit from time to time.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Professionalism: Knowledge of internal policies, processes and procedures generally and in particular those related to project administration, implementation and evaluation, programming and budgeting. Ability to work well with figures, undertake basic research and gather information from standard sources. Demonstrated ability to apply good judgment in the context of assignments given. Shows pride in work and in achievements; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations
Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others,
correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others' ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
Planning And Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
Completion of tertiary education with first degrees as a minimum in business administration and economics. Supplementary training in social science field or in business and administration is desirable.
Eight years of experience in project administration, financial management & reporting, technical cooperation or related areas. Work experience in the IGAD region will be an advantage.
For the post advertised, fluency in oral and written English is required. Knowledge of French language is an advantage but not necessary.
How to apply
Only candidates who meet the profile of the minimum qualifications, experience and core competences stated above need apply. Applications should be accompanied by:
- Applicant’s detailed CV, copies of both academic and professional certificates and testimonials;
- Names and addresses of three reputable referees and the candidate’s contact details (E-mail address and telephone numbers).The applications should be addressed to:
The Director, Administration & Finance, IGAD,
P.O. Box 2653, Djibouti,
Republic of Djibouti;
Sent by email:
“Program and Operations Officer”
Deadline for submission of applications:
Applications must be received by email on or before C.O.B 20th October 2019.
IGAD is an equal opportunities employer. Female candidates are encouraged to apply.