Vacancy Announcement for
Senior Economic and Public Financial Management Officer
Announcement Number ISSO/SEPFMO/ 2019
In response to the armed conflict that erupted in December 2013, in the Republic of South Sudan, the Intergovernmental Authority on Development (IGAD) initiated a peace process to help the conflicting parties resolve their differences in a peaceful way. At the end of August 2015, the Agreement on the Resolution of the Conflict in South Sudan (ARCSS)’ was signed. However, though the implementation of the Peace Agreement was started and the Transitional Government of National Unity (TGoNU) was established, it faced many challenges which led to the renewed conflict of July 2016.
IGAD continued its efforts to restore and sustain peace in the country. Thus, the 31st Extra-Ordinary Summit of IGAD Heads of State and Government held on June 12, 2017, decided to convene a High Level Revitalization Forum (HLRF) of the parties to the Peace Agreement, including other armed and non-armed opposition groups to discuss concrete measures to push forward the implementation of the ARCSS. The HLRF was intended to help restore permanent ceasefire, the full implementation of the Peace Agreement and to develop a revised and realistic timeline and implementation schedule towards a democratic election at the end of the transition period. The 31st submit entrusted the responsibility of revitalizing the ARCSS to the IGAD Council of Ministers and also appointed Special Envoy for South Sudan to assist the Council in facilitation of the HLRF. After a long was of negotiation process, the Forum was completed successfully and the Revitalized Agreement for the Resolution of the Conflict in the Republic of South Sudan (R-ARCSS) was signed on September 2018 in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
In an effort to effectively support the implementation of the R-ARCSS IGAD is committed to strengthen its capacity by hiring a Senior Economic and Public Financial Management Officer and other experts to effectively discharge its mandate entrusted by the Agreement
Organizational Unit: IGAD South Sudan Office (ISSO)
Job Category: Professional/Project staff
Position Title: Senior Economic and Public Financial Management Officer
Position Grade: P-5
Reporting to: IGAD Special Envoy for South Sudan
Duration of Contract: One Year renewable subject to need
Duty Station: Juba, the Republic of South Sudan
Deadline for application: on or before 22nd March 2019 on or before 5:00PM local time
- Job Summary
Under the direct supervision of the Special Envoy and in close coordination with the Head of the IGAD South Sudan Liaison Office (ISSLO), the Senior Economic and Public Financial Management Officer will follow the progress of the Economic and Financial Reforms in South Sudan with specific focus on Chapter Four and assist the Special Envoy and the Head of the ISSLO. He or She will also coordinate with all other Officers in Juba and Addis Ababa in the designing of a sound strategy to guide the implementation of the peace process in an efficient and effective way and contribute to its execution and the preparation of reports on the result of the implementation activities.
The very important job of the Senior Economic and Public Financial Management Officer is to read, understand and analyses the R-ARCSS and related documents and assist the South Sudanese in the full implementation of the same which will ultimately lead to the Revitalized TGoNU and democratic election at the end of the transition period. The following will be his or her core duties and responsibilities.
- Core Duties and Responsibilities
- Design appropriate strategy to effectively implement the reforms related with resources, economic and financial management stipulated the chapter four of the Agreement;
- Provide advice and close support to the Agreement institutions related with resource, economy and financial management. Follow the creation of these institutions and their effective operationalisation;
- Prepare periodic reports analyzing economic and financial developments and their impact on the implementation of the revitalized peace agreement. Also prepare briefs and analytical notes on the performance of the Agreement institutions to assist them in solving challenges they may face;
- Support in fund raising to mobilize necessary funding the financial management activities by assisting the efforts of establishment of the Special Reconstruction Fund. Also, contribute to the work of putting necessary financial controls of the Fund,
- Closely work with the government institutions mandated for economic and financial management affairs and related transitional institutions to assist them in the implementation of the Agreement.
- Coordinate with economists and financial experts from Agreement institutions and engage in policy dialogue to advice on the best economic and financial policies and effective implementation of the Agreement;
- Establish and maintain networks and partnerships with national, regional and local stakeholders to foster and strengthen strategic cooperation and partnership on the implementation of the peace process;
- Coordinate with gender officer effectively to strengthen women’s initiatives in the peace processes and make sure their full engagement and inclusivity is respected according to the Agreement;
- Undertake any other related tasks that may be assigned by the Special Envoy;
- Required Skills and Experience
- Masters degree from a recognized university in Economics, Public Financial Management and related studies.
- At least 15 years of relevant work experience, 5 years of which should be at senior level. Specifically, progressively responsible work experience in economic and financial management reforms, research and policy analysis, in a governmental, multilateral organizations. Experience in the East African Region and specifically in South Sudan is a plus.
- Key Skills and Competencies
- Ability to working on economic and financial management policy issues and strong conceptual, analytical and evaluative skills in these areas;
- Basic macroeconomic modeling ability and analytical skills of monetary, trade, debt and balance of payments accounts;
- Track record of engagement with senior levels of government officials and donors on matters of economic and financial reforms;
- Ability to analyze diverse views and conflicting interests and come up with reconciled convincing solutions;
- Strong ability of producing quality reports and public speeches highly desirable;
- Good interpersonal skills, with ability to interact effectively at various cross cultural diversities;
- Advanced computer skills, particularly econometric software such as E-Views, STATA and MS Office (MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint);
- Proven problem solving skills, team player, flexible and able to work well under pressure;
- Language Requirements
- Fluency in both written and spoken English;
- Knowledge of Arabic and/or French will be an added advantage;
- How to apply:
Only those interested candidates from the Member states of IGAD who meet the profile stated should submit their application accompanied by detailed CV, copies of both Academic and professional certificates and testimonials, names and addresses of three reputable referees, contact details (e-mails, telephone) to the following address:
IGAD South Sudan office
Tel: +251-911-243163 or +251-116185781
Female candidates are encouraged to apply