Job Title: Land and Water Resource Management Specialist
Organisation: IGAD Sheikh Technical Veterinary School
Project Location: Sheikh Sahil region, Somaliland
Starting date: March 2019
Contract: One year renewable
Duties and responsibilities of the Land and Water Resource Management Specialist
The Land and Water Resource Management Specialist specialist will carry out the following academic and administrative duties:
-Implement the training courses in their entirety, especially:
Introduction to irrigation and drainage; definitions, extent, advantages and disadvantages. Overview of irrigation methods. Irrigation zones and potential in IGAD region. Soil and water potential, soil-water dynamics, dynamic soil water availability. Collection and analysis of geological and hydro-climatic data, survey of suitable sites for rainwater and surface runoff harvesting; design, construction and performance evaluation of rainwater and surface runoff harvesting structures. Basic soil-plant relationships; ion exchange in soils, movement of ions from soils to roots, ion absorption by plants; macro- and micro-nutrients and their deficiency symptoms; manufacture of nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium fertilizers. Soil survey: aims and importance of soil surveys; types of soil survey in relation to scale of mapping; methods appropriate for different types of survey; the soil survey report; soil survey in the IGAD region.
Definition of conflict, role of conflict in society, paradigms of conflict, subjective and objective
views of conflict, structural and violent conflict, the conflict cycle, conflict systems, actors and interest.
Fundamental concepts of global development and environment. Development-environment
nexus. Review of evidence for global environmental change.
-Work with the curriculum development expert to revise the curriculum, as needs arise;
- Develop lesson plans for training sessions.
- Develop the student assessment system including setting, administering, marking and grading of exams;
- Assist in the ordering and maintenance of all assets, materials and equipment for training students in her/his area of technical and subject expertise.
- Be available for Reference Centre activities and other academic activities as agreed with the principal.
- Attend coordination meetings as called by the School Principal.
- Assist the School staff in the overall implementation of day to day activities.
- Perform any other duties as assigned by the Principal.
Education and technical expertise
- The candidate should be an experienced Land and Water Resource Management expert, with a minimum of a Masters degree in Land and Water management or Soil science.
- Candidates who have already registered for PhD will have an added advantage.
- The candidate should have good grasp of Land and Water Resource Management biased towards dryland agriculture and pastoral livestock production systems.
The candidate should have a minimum of 3 years relevant work experience, with experience in the following fields being particularly desirable:
- Semi-arid and arid lands with a pastoral and agro-pastoral economy
- Matured teaching experience at tertiary level
- Conversant with student centred teaching methodology
- Fluency in written and spoken English
- Knowledge of Somali and /or Arabic is an advantage
In addition to the above qualifications, applicants are expected to have the following competencies:
- Effective communication skills, in particular with students
- Good team worker and excellent interpersonal skills
- Good drafting, editing and writing skills (in English)
- Solid student centred teaching methodology experience is preferred
- Preference is given to candidates of IGAD member states (Djibouti, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Kenya, Uganda, Somalia, Sudan, South Sudan)
- Candidate is required to possess a certificate of Good Conduct or No criminal conviction or equivalent from country of domicile
How to apply
Only candidates who meet the profile of the minimum qualifications, experience and core competences stated above can apply. Application accompanied by the candidate’s detailed CV, copies of both academic and professional certificates and testimonials, names and addresses of three reputable referees and give the candidate’s contact details must be addressed to the following address and must be e-mailed / submitted in such a way that they are received on or before 5:00pm on 28th February 2019. Any application received after this deadline will not be considered. The application with the subject line “Land and Water Resource Management Specialist – ISTVS” should be made to:
The Director, Administration & Finance, IGAD,
Avenue Georges Clemenceau,
- O. Box 2653
Djibouti, Republic of Djibouti
IGAD is an equal opportunity employer. Female candidates are encouraged to apply.