Organization Unit: Ceasefire and Transitional Security Arrangements Monitoring Mechanism (CTSAMM)
Job Category: Professional
Job Group: Project staff
Position Title: Project Accountant
Position Grade: P-3
Accountable to: Chief of Finance and Administration
Duration: One year with possible extension
Salary: IGAD Salary Scale
Duty Station: Juba, South Sudan
Under the overall guidance of the Chief of Finance and Administration officer of CTSAMM, the Project Accountant shall undertake activities of budget monitoring, full accounting cycle including donor reporting, fulfilling requirements of specific and yearend financial audit. The Accountant will liaise with bank, coding & encoding financial transactions, preparing bank reconciliations, ensure invoices are paid timely and meet deadline of financial reporting to donors. She/he undertakes the task in compliance to internal policies, procedures and local laws as well as IGAD and donors’ requirements. He or She shall be responsible for several funding sources setting and needs application of fund accounting and fund management practice.
Core Duties and Responsibilities
- Prepare/Review payment vouchers and cheques as well as bank transfer letters including incoming wires before signature by approvers for validity and correctness.
- Make bills processed for payment, provide account and analysis codes and encode them to Sun System.
- Prepare monthly payroll and follow-up with bank on transfers made to staff accounts.
- Carry out data entry independently, prepare/review monthly transaction list and prepare bank reconciliations.
- Prepare management and donor reports every month meeting deadlines.
- Ensure that financial files are labeled and filed systematically.
- Prepare financial statements and detailed ledger for internal and external auditors and get statements audited. Providing responses in respect of accounting and audit queries that may be raised by Management, Donors and auditors as well as other authorities.
- Make cash account reconciliations between Cash Book and Actual physical cash count balances regularly.
- Undertakes other financial management and accounting works of full cycle stipulated by the post as a single professional standing in a setting of team of different discipline.
Minimum Qualifications and Experience
- A minimum of BA Degree from a recognized university ,in accounting, financial management, or any other relevant social science field.
- Professional accounting qualifications like CPA, ACCA or other recognized professional accounting qualification is a plus.
- A minimum of 5 years project related work experience with a respectable organization.
Key Skills and competencies
- High level of personal and professional integrity with strong analytical skills and ability to function well in a multi-cultural environment.
- Comprehensive knowledge of computer accounting software systems preferably sun system.
- Experience of complying with funding contracts and reporting to donors.
- Strong analytical capabilities, attention to detail and high levels of accuracy.
- Demonstrated ability to work with limited supervision to prioritize tasking and manage workflow in a high pressure environment.
- Fluent spoken and written English. Knowledge of French language is a plus.
- Strong communication and team working skills, desirable to have experience with remote working teams.
- Knowledge and experience of local laws is a plus.
How to Apply
Only candidates who meet the profile of the minimum qualifications, experience and core competences stated above need apply. Submitted applications should be accompanied by the candidate’s detailed CV, copies of both academic and professional certificates and testimonials, names and addresses of three reputable referees and the candidate’s contact details (E-mail address and telephone numbers).
The applications should be addressed to:
The Director, Administration & Finance, IGAD,
Deadline for submission of applications
Must be received at the IGAD Secretariat by 10th October 2018
IGAD is an equal opportunities employer. Female candidates are encouraged to apply***