REQUEST FOR EXPRESSION OF INTEREST (REOI)-INDIVIDUAL CONSULTANT FOR CONSULTANCY SERVICE OF DEVELOPING A REGIONAL WOMEN'S LAND RIGHTS CONFERENCE AGENDA
The Intergovernmental Authority on Development (IGAD) is a Regional Economic Community of the Africa Union. Member States include Djibouti, Ethiopia, Kenya, Somalia, South Sudan, Sudan, and Uganda. IGAD's mission is "to assist and complement the Member States' efforts through increased cooperation to achieve food security and environmental protection, promotion and maintenance of peace and security and humanitarian affairs, and economic cooperation and integration." IGAD's activities consist mainly of policy support, information and knowledge sharing, capacity development and research, and science and technology
The IGAD Land Governance Programme derives its mandate from the AU framework on Land Issues and Challenges in Africa. It is responsible for promoting regional strategies, policies, and programs to improve land governance and ensure that the IGAD Member States have the necessary prerequisite capacity to close the gender gap in the land sector and deliver on global and regional commitments. IGAD believes that the existence of and implementation of gender-responsive land policies by the IGAD Member States that reflect regional and global frameworks provides core foundations for addressing women's land rights challenges.
IGAD is in the process of organizing a Regional Women's Land Rights conference. The conference will provide a platform to deliberate on gender justice concerns in the Land sector and build consensus on requisite national level actions for better protection and advancement of women's rights to land, which will result in an equitable and transformative change in the land sector. The conference will also create a safe space for women of different social, economic, and religious beliefs and backgrounds to dialogue with State and non-state land actors and find amicable solutions.
The main goal of the conference is: To deepen multi-stakeholder collaboration and agency for the protection and promotion of women's rights to land through learning, experience sharing, and collective action across the IGAD Region
- To establish and strengthen the multi-stakeholder platform on gender and land grounded in the experiences and realities in each country of the IGAD Region;
- To strengthen coordination and build partnerships, networks between grassroots women and land actors at local, national, and regional levels;
- To harness women's collective voice and participation in defining the regional women's land rights discourse.
IGAD seeks a seasoned Gender and Land consultant with strong communication skills to develop a Regional Women's Land Rights Agenda and design a conference booklet.
In consultation with the IGAD Land Governance program, the consultant will perform the following tasks:
- Undertake consultations with Women's Land Rights National working group coordinated by Gender Focal point persons of IGAD member states to draft and finalize Country-level Women's Land Rights Agenda for every IGAD Member States;
- Review the National Gender assessment of the Land sector reports to generate content for the Agenda;
- Draft the regional Women's land Rights Agenda, informed by country-level women's Land Rights Agenda and assessment reports;
- Organize a consultative meeting with the Regional Conference Working group coordinated by IGAD to discuss the draft Agenda and agree on Conference theme, Conference thematic areas, and resource persons for each;
- Produce a well-designed Regional Women's Land Rights agenda conference booklet with a conference schedule;
- Produce key Conference messages for different social media platforms
The Consultancy shall take place in March 2021 for approximately maximum of 15 working days.
QUALIFICATION AND EXPERTISE
The successful entity or candidate is required to meet the following criteria:
- The consultant (s) should have expertise in research, and communication with strong gender and Land knowledge.
- Consultant(s) should have a minimum of a master’s degree in gender studies, public policy, Development studies or law with 5 years of professional experience in coordinating various stakeholders at regional or national level
- Very strong writing and analytical skills
- Should have good knowledge of organising high level meetings or conferences
- Excellent communication skills and knowledge of different media platform including packing information for different and stakeholders
- Fluency in English is mandatory and knowledge of French is desirable.
SUBMISSION OF APPLICATIONS
Applicants should send via email
- A cover letter specifying their professional qualifications in relation to this Expression of interest
- A detailed CV highlighting how the candidate’s previous experience matches the consultancy objectives as well as their interest for the position
- At least one sample piece of work
IGAD Secretariat now invites eligible Individual Consultants with the requisite experience to indicate their interest in providing the services. Interested Consultants must provide information indicating that they are qualified to perform the services.
Eligibility criteria, establishment of the short-list and the selection procedure shall be in accordance IGAD procurement regulations.
HOW TO APPLY
Women are encouraged to apply
Administration and Finance
Avenue Georges Clemenceau
P.O. Box 2653,
Djibouti, Republic of Djibouti