REQUEST FOR EXPRESSION OF INTEREST (EOI) - INDIVIDUAL CONSULTANT
Consultancy service of Assessment on the Impact of COVID on Fish Chain and Development of Interventions Packages (Emergency and Recovery Phases)
The agricultural sector (crops, livestock and fisheries) continues to be one of the three priority development areas of IGAD focusing on food security, while sustainably managing the natural resources and protecting the environment. It remains the dominant component of the economies of the IGAD member states in terms of its contribution to Gross Domestic Product (GDP), food and nutrition security, supplies of raw materials for industry, employment, income and exports. Over eighty percent of the region’s population live in the rural areas. They derive their livelihood primarily from semi-subsistence agriculture and pastoralism which are prone to frequent droughts due to climate change, desertification and ecological degradation.
The emergence of Coronavirus (COVID-19) is exerting additional pressure to an already fragile economic situation of the region following various shocks resulting from consecutive climate related shocks (droughts and floods), conflicts and politically instigated insecurity in some countries, refugees and human displacements, and invasion by desert locusts since the end of 2019. These shocks have negatively impacted on the livelihoods of affected populations and continue to increase vulnerability and weakening of resilience. The development of the fisheries sector in the region would therefore contribute to reducing vulnerability of communities to climatic and economic shocks by creating income opportunities and enhancing resilience to food and nutrition insecurity.
IGAD, as a Regional Economic Community, has the comparative advantage to analyze the impact of COVID-19 on fish chain and provide policy guidance in a coordinated manner with MS. Fisheries, as a major component of the Blue Economy sector, the assessment of the impact of Covid-19 on Fisheries would also contribute to knowing the impact of Covid-19 on the Blue Economy of the region.
The IGAD have received financing for EU towards Technical Cooperation Fund (TCF) and intends to apply a part of the financing for the Consultancy service of Assessment on the Impact of COVID on Fish Chain and Development of Interventions Packages (Emergency and Recovery Phases).
The overall objective of this proposal is to assess the impact of the pandemic on the fish supply chain and develop an intervention package to recover livelihoods and ensure the community super nutritious food to cope with the prevailing health challenges.
- Assess the impact of COVID-19 on fish chain on the three-subsectors (marine, inland and aquaculture
- Develop intervention packages for two phases (Emergency and Recovery)
- Produce policy brief for policy makers
- Report on the impact of COVID-19 and the lockdown on fish value chain
- Detailed intervention packages to mitigate COVID impact (short term and medium term) for the inland, marine and aquaculture sectors
- Policy Recommendations
METHODOLOGY AND SCOPE
The consultancy will cover 7 IGAD Member States and will address inland, marine fisheries and aquaculture. Lead consultant will develop and submit expression of interest. The lead consultant need to engage national experts for data collection.
The scope of the assignment will include the following:
- Conduct a desk review and analysis of literature
- Undertake wider consultations of relevant stakeholders including value chain actors
- Carry a detailed data collection
- Analyse data and produce synthesis report at regional level
- Incorporate the comments of the member states in the final documents.
The Consultant will work under the overall guidance of Director of Agriculture and Environment with the day to day supervision by Fisheries Expert.
The assessment will be carried out on the following MS: Djibouti, Ethiopia, Kenya, Somalia, South Sudan, Sudan and Uganda.
QUALIFICATION AND EXPERIENCE
- MSC on Fisheries resource management, Fisheries economics and fisheries related sciences
- Ten (10) years of professional experience relevant to the assignment Skills
- Excellent knowledge of the region fisheries resource potential
- Experience on impact analysis
- Demonstrated consultancy experiences in IGAD region
- Report writing skill
- Mobilizing national experts
- The candidate for this assignment needs to be fluent in English and have excellent drafting skills.
The consultant will produce:
- An inception report, within 15 days of starting the assignment (including the work plan);
- An intermediary report, following data collected from MS;
- A detailed and comprehensive final written report in English
DURATION OF THE CONSULTANCY
The time envisaged for the consultancy is 60 working-days, implemented during a period of 3 months.
Negotiable on the basis of experience and qualifications.
How to Apply
Interested Consultants must submit their expression of interest (updated CV and non-returnable educational and work experience credentials with a cover letter) to the address below in person, or by mail or by email no later than 200 pm local time on 15th July 2020 . Our address is:
Administration and Finance
Avenue Georges Clemenceau
P.O. Box 2653,
Djibouti, Republic of Djibouti
Women applicants are encouraged.