REQUEST FOR EXPRESSION OF INTEREST - (INDIVIDUAL CONSULTANT)
Preventing and Countering Violent Extremism (P/CVE) Youth and Civil Society Engagement Strategies
The IGAD Center of Excellence for Preventing and Countering Violent Extremism (ICEPCVE) was established to catalyze an inclusive and holistic P/CVE approach. The Centre brings together state and non-state actors involved in P/CVE in the region to share good practice and lessons learned and to promote partnerships. The Centre is committed to facilitating the Eastern Africa region to move towards a common understanding of the drivers of violent extremism (VE) and to contribute to a reduction of the same.
ICEPCVE derives its mandate from IGAD’s role to contribute to the region’s peace and security. Our mandate is to:
- Enhance partnerships between governments, CSO’s and sub-national actors like women, religious leaders, youth, and clan leaders amongst other key stakeholders.
- Capture locally-led efforts to build community resilience against VE across the region by partner organizations;
- Provide technical assistance to national governments;
- Deliver P/CVE training and other activities to governments and partner organisations to develop broader expertise and practice; and
- Map P/CVE research being undertaken in the region, conduct research gap analysis and commission research based on the findings.
Strengthening the capacity of communities’ at-risk of radicalization to reject the ideology and aims of violent extremists is one of the five pillars to achieve our strategic objectives based on our regional strategy.
In collaboration with the Global Engagement Center of the US State Department, ICEPCVE will implement an advanced three-day course is a highly practical training designed to enhance the skills of participants to produce infographics and illustrations to effectively prevent and counter violent extremist ideologies.
The IGAD Center of Excellence for Preventing and Countering Violent Extremism (ICEPCVE) now invite qualified Experts to apply for the above mentioned assignment.
OBJECTIVE OF THE CONSULTANCY:
The Centre has mobilized a network of P/CVE youth organizations and CSOs in Djibouti, Ethiopia, Kenya, Somalia, Tanzania and Uganda and is planning to develop two P/CVE engagement strategies - one for youth and another for CSOs. The respective strategies are geared towards equipping the existing members of the youth and CSO networks to mobilize others who are not members of the national networks and to collectively further P/CVE work in their respective countries. The strategies should also include a plan for the national networks to jointly engage government ministries, departments, and agencies charged with P/CVE at the national and sub-national level. The strategies must be co-created with the respective national networks and ICEPCVE’s CSO and Community Outreach team.
SPECIFIC OBJECTIVES OF THE CONSULTANCY:
- Development of regional youth and CSO engagement strategy that provides a framework for strengthening youth and CSO networks to collectively further their P/CVE work at national and regional level. This strategy is intended to guide and promote creative and strategic alliances, collaboration, and partnerships for effective engagement with other youth and CSO organisations, as well as, government entities in P/CVE.
- Facilitate a validation workshop to be attended by the key stakeholders, that is, the youth and CSO network country representatives consulted during the assignment (costs to be met by ICEPCVE). During this workshop, the consultant will have the following tasks;
- Present the country-specific findings of the assignment from the six countries for discussion by the country representatives.
- Hold consultations with the youth and CSO network country representatives on youth and CSO strategic engagement to contribute towards the regional engagement strategies.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
- Knowledge and experience in civil society engagement, policy advocacy and lobbying, and movement building in the peace and security sector. Good working knowledge in P/CVE and with various P/CVE state and non-state actors at the community, national and/or regional level. The consultant should be familiar with the dynamics of P/CVE programming.
- Analytical skills and the ability to condense a wide range of content from various (ICEPCVE and other) documents, including the regional strategy, to contribute to the development of the strategy.
- A university degree in peace and security, international relations, international development, gender, sociology or other relevant fields.
- At least 7 years work experience, with a minimum of 5 years working in peace and security, P/CVE, or conflict analysis in the IGAD region.
- Excellent computer skills.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills.
- Flexibility to adjust working hours to actual workload as requested by ICEPCVE in Djibouti.
- Capacity to work under pressure and availability to travel.
- Excellent writing skills (English) and ability to conceptualize PCVE issues.
- Ability to work efficiently and deliver on committed outputs under the assignment within the agreed timelines.
DURATION OF THE ASSIGNMENT
The consultancy will be undertaken over a period of (25)-Twenty -five working days. Work will commence immediately after contract signing.
HOW TO APPLY
Applicants should send via email:
Cover letter with the applicant’s current contact information including how the candidate’s previous experience matches the consultancy objectives as well as their interest for the position (not longer than two pages).
- CV of consultants and professional references or letter of recommendation;
- The email must clearly state the assignment applied for and marked:
“Preventing and Countering Violent Extremism (P/CVE) Youth and Civil Society Engagement Strategies’’
- Late applications will not be considered.
- Women applicants are encouraged.
- The deadline for submitting the applications will be at or before 5:00pm on 27th February 2020 and address for submitting the offer will be:
- The Expression of Interest and any request for clarification should be addressed to the following E-mail addresses:
Administration and Finance, IGAD Secretariat
Avenue Georges Clemenceau
P.O. Box 2653
Djibouti, Rep. of Djibouti