REQUEST FOR EXPRESSION OF INTEREST - (INDIVIDUAL CONSULTANT)
CONSULTANCY SERVICE FOR ASSESSMENT on Refugee Health Status in IGAD Member States
IGAD Secretariat, member states and its partners have developed a document laying out the key elements of the road map for delivering the Nairobi Declaration and Plan of Action. These are aimed at supplementing and boosting ongoing processes and programs, with an emphasis on delivering rapid results along the way. The key element of the Nairobi declaration and action plan road map outlines thematic areas and result framework. The agreed framework has proposed 5 strategic objectives in line with the thematic areas. These strategic objectives are:
- Strategic Objective 1: Create conditions for safe, sustainable and voluntary return of refugees to Somalia
- Strategic Objective 2: Maintain protection and asylum space
- Strategic Objective 3: Enhanced self-reliance and access to services and assistance for refugees and host communities
- Strategic Objective 4: Stronger regional cooperation on durable solutions for Somali refugees
- Strategic Objective 5: Ease pressure on host countries through increased international solidarity and responsibility sharing
However, the overarching objective of the declaration is to provide durable solutions for Somali refugees and reintegration of returnees within Somalia. More specifically, this will entail collectively pursuing a comprehensive regional approach to deliver durable solutions for Somali refugees; whilst maintaining protection space and promoting self-reliance in the countries of asylum; and creating an enabling environment for the safe, sustainable and voluntary return and re-integration of Somali refugees, with the support of the international community and consistent with international responsibility sharing as outlined in the New York Declaration’s Comprehensive Refugee Response Framework (CRRF).
OBJECTIVE OF THE CONSULTANCY:
Currently, IGAD is implementing TB project which providing services to the refugee population and host communities. Therefore, the overall objective of this assignment is to operationalize the refugee health sector within the thematic areas of Nairobi declaration and plan of action.
The assignment will add value to IGAD existing initiatives in the refugee camps by expanding the scope of the health needs and upgrading already ongoing IGAD interventions. Though, the specific objectives are to assess:
- Broader aspect of the health in the refugee setting;
- Status of the following diseases in the refugee settings and come-up comprehensive report drawing up updated information;
- National and regional refugee health coordination
- Communicable diseases such as Malaria
- Non communicable diseases such as diabetic mellitus
- Mental health
- Health system strengthening
- Child health
- Surveillance system
- Linkages with national health programs
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
The consultant should be a highly knowledgeable person on Health program in all sectors as well as national health policies and refugee health settings. He/she must have solid understanding of the refugee Health sector in the Region. In addition, the consultant should possess the following skills and competencies:
- Solid knowledge and understanding of key refugee Health challenges in IGAD Region and its Member States
- Minimum of 10 years' experience in health programs and refugee health settings
- Post Graduate Degree in Health Policy, public health, international and global health and any other similar health related degree
- Sound understanding and application of health initiatives
- Good analytical and report writing skills
- Good communication and facilitation skills
- Good interpersonal skills
- Good computer literacy
DURATION OF THE ASSIGNMENT
The Consultancy is for a total of 60 sixty working days spread over three months.
SUPERVISION AND REPORTING:
The coordinator of migration unit based at the IGAD HQs Djibouti will be the contact person for the duration of the assignment and will also provide relevant background documents and publications.
HOW TO APPLY
Each application should include the following:
- Cover letter with the applicant’s current contact information including how the candidate’s previous experience matches the consultancy objectives as well as their interest for the position (not longer than two pages).
- CV of consultant and professional references.
- Samples of recent similar assignments.
- The email must clearly state the assignment applied for and marked:
“Developing a Practice Manual and Tools for Mainstreaming Gender in the Implementation of Land Reforms and Practices”.
- Late applications will not be considered.
For further more information see the attached Terms of Reference (TOR).
Women applicants are encouraged.
- The deadline for submitting the applications will be at or before 5:00pm on 18th February 2020 and address for submitting the offer will be:
- The Expression of Interest and any request for clarification should be addressed to the following E-mail addresses:
Administration and Finance, IGAD Secretariat
Avenue Georges Clemenceau
P.O. Box 2653
Djibouti, Rep. of Djibouti