REQUEST FOR EXPRESSION OF INTEREST (rEOI) – Individual consultant
CONSULTANCY SERVICE OF development of the Somali National Maritime Policy
The Intergovernmental Authority for Development (IGAD) has received financing from European Union (EU) towards “the Regional Programme for the Promotion of Maritime Security (MASE) and intends to apply a part of the finance for recruitment of individual consultant for the purpose of Development Somali National Maritime Policy. A National Maritime Policy is defined as the area of private and public policy concerned with the economics of maritime transport, ports and terminals; national and international regulation; maritime security and defence; maritime labour; and oceanic law, policy and management. From a clearly stated National Maritime Policy a national Maritime Strategy is developed to impellent the policy.
Years of civil war and lack of governance have left the Somali people unable to secure and derive prosperity from renewable and non-renewable maritime resources. Maritime Resource revenue cannot be exploited without a secure maritime domain; the maritime domain cannot be secured without capability; and capability will not be forthcoming without a clear National Maritime Strategy and a strategy cannot be developed without a clear National Maritime Policy.
IGAD’s MASE programme is seeking support from an experienced Consultant to develop a comprehensive Somali National Maritime Policy, building on the work that has already been done under the 2013 Kampala Process.
OBJECTIVE OF THE CONSULTANCY:
The development of the Somali National Maritime Policy by the Individual Consultant(s) should investigate some (not necessarily all) of the key elements of a standard National Maritime Policy as they pertain to the Somalia domain (see attached ToR).
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
- A senior person with influence and acceptability in both Federal Somalia, Regional States and Somaliland
- Professional legal qualifications and/or Master’s Degree (in legal and/or equivalent maritime qualifications) and relevant experience in the area of maritime studies or related fields;
- Relevant publications or reports within the last ten years on maritime strategies and issues concerning African countries, Horn of Africa or on the Somalia Member States is essential;
- Over 10 years of country or regional level experience in the area of the requested expertise;
- Evidence of participation in national or international maritime coordination activities and other expert advisory bodies pertinent to the scope of this study is required;
- Applicants must have excellent working knowledge of English.
- The consultant(s)/expert (s) should have in-depth knowledge and understanding of Somali politics and the sub-region realities, major challenges and threats;
- The consultant(s) should be available and lead 2 validation workshops ;
- Women applicants are actively encouraged.
DURATION OF THE ASSIGNMENT
The development of the National Maritime policy should be drafted within a period of 4 four- weeks.
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested and qualified consultants are advised to send /e-mail us their expression of interest with up-dated Curriculum (CVs) of the proposed experts, Company/firms’ profile demonstrating their competencies to execute the assignment.
A full set of Term of reference (ToR) has been Provided/attached for your further reference.
EOI must be submitted to the address below no later than 2:30pm on June 13, 2019. Our address is:
Administration and Finance
Avenue Georges Clemenceau
P.O. Box 2653,
Djibouti, Republic of Djibouti
Women applicants are encouraged.
With kind regards;