REQUEST FOR EXPRESSION OF INTEREST (REOI)
CONSULTANCY SERVICE for PREPARATION OF THE DRAFT PROTOCOL ON FREE MOVEMENT OF PERSONS AND ITS ROAD MAP FOR THE IMPLEMENTATION OF THE PROTOCOL IN IGAD REGION
The Inter-Governmental Authority for Development (IGAD) has received financing from European Union Emergency Trust Fund (EUTF) towards facilitating free movement of persons and transhumance in the region. The project is supporting the development and adoption of the Protocols on Free Movement of Persons and on Transhumance in IGAD Region. The aim of the two protocols is to enhance safe, regular and beneficial cross-border mobility and migration, regional economic integration and development. .
IGAD Secretariat has in August 2018 concluded regional and national technical consultations with the IGAD Member States high level experts from government ministries, authorities and commissions of governments as well as private sector, civil society, academia and unions. The finalized protocol is planned to be presented to the Committee of Ambassadors and for adoption at the IGAD Inter-Ministerial meeting. The endorsement of the Protocol will be done at the IGAD Heads of State Summit. It is also foreseen that the protocol will be implemented through the roll-out of its Road Map for Implementation.
The preparation of the Final Draft Protocol and Road Map for negotiation by IGAD Team of Negotiators is now required so that the rounds of negotiation of the Protocol on Free Movement of Persons can begin without delay.
To deliver on its mandate, IGAD Secretariat in Djibouti seeks the services of a Legal Expert on a consultancy basis to prepare the final Draft Protocol and its Road Map in preparation for the rounds of negotiations and the development of the Final Protocol on Free Movement by IGAD Member States.
OBJECTIVE OF THE CONSULTANCY:
The objective of this assignment is to prepare the Final Draft Protocol on Free Movement of Persons in IGAD Region and its Road Map for Implementation.
- Review information contained in following critical documents to inform the Provisions of the Final Draft Protocol and its Road Map:
- Review 08 Country Reports from the National Consultative Meetings just concluded in the IGAD Members;
- Review related documents such as AU, EAC, ECOWAS and COMESA free movement regimes;
- Utilize the findings of the IGAD Study on Benefits and Barriers to Free movement of Persons in IGAD Region;
- Review the legal and policy review of immigration and other related laws and policies affecting Free Movement of Persons Regime in IGAD MS.
- Prepare the Final Draft Protocol and its Road Map for Implementation.
- Present the Final Draft Protocol and Road Map for Regional Validation by IGAD MS for the rounds of negotiation, finalization and adoption of the Protocol and its Road Map.
- Final Draft Protocol on Free Movement of Persons in IGAD Region.
- Final Draft Road Map for the Implementation of the Protocol on Free Movement of Persons ion IGAD Region.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
- The incumbent should have an advanced university degree in law, with at least five (5) years of legislative drafting.
- Demonstrated experience in delivering AU continental and RECs regional Free Movement of Persons legal and policy instruments.
- Proven experience in developing national or regional policy and legal frameworks on migration.
- Migration management background, ideally also with experience in labour migration, border management, protection and development.
- Excellent drafting and reporting skills; communication and negotiating skills.
- Languages: working competence in English, French is an asset.
- Strong understanding of the countries of IGAD region, having worked at least in three of the eight IGAD MS.
DURATION OF THE ASSIGNMENT
The total duration of the assignment is a maximum of 02 calendar months (60 calendar days) with a possibility of extension to undertake further assignments related to the negotiation of the Protocol on Free Movement of Persons by IGAD MS.
SUPERVISION AND REPORTING:
The IGAD EUTF Project Manager based at the IGAD HQs Djibouti will be the contact person for the duration of the assignment and will also provide relevant background documents and publications.
The consultant shall be paid in accordance with IGAD-EUTF contracting rules and regulations. IGAD EUTF Project on Free Movement of Persons in IGAD Region will pay fees of the consultancy, costs of flights tickets and per diem outside the country of origin of the Legal Expert. IGAD will also organise and cover the costs of the Regional Validation Meeting of IGAD MS.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested Legal Experts must submit their expression of interest (updated CV and non-returnable educational and work experience credentials with a cover letter) to the address below in person, or by mail or by email no later than 2:00 pm local time on 10th October 2018. Our address is:
Administration and Finance
Avenue Georges Clemenceau
P.O. Box 2653,
Djibouti, Republic of Djibouti
Women applicants are encouraged.